Piston Rings 86.4mm

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Grover
Diana

Piston Rings 86.4mm

Post by Grover »

Does anybody know where I can buy GENUINE Ducati rings at 86.4mm. I have tried the ones here in Australia in a white box with pale blue DUCATI printed on them and they just use oil. The oil scapers appear to be way to tensile. Thanks guys.
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

try gowanlochs in sydney,i purchased a set from them a few months ago
the size you are after and original ducati,but be warned they come and go
and i had to wait until they restocked.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I have a spare set PM me if you like
Grover
Diana

Piston Rings

Post by Grover »

Thanks to Martin I have some rings, BUT, I notice no replies from overseas....you folk must rebuild these engines to, so as a matter of interest what do you use for rings???....what brand???...where do you purchase them???.....do you have supply problems???? Thanks
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

On this side of the world rings just don't ever seem to wear. Must have something to do with the magnetic flux of the earths poles.On the serious side rings are made by many companys to any size you can imagine. A good machine shop that does engine reconditioning will have catalogs from Hastings or Deves and the rings are listed by diameter and thickness. On my bevels the pistons have been beaten to death and I've never been able to just replace the rings. Most of the replacements have been Wiseco or JE and they supply the rings with the piston.
Grover
Diana

Piston Rings

Post by Grover »

Well looks like there is only one person outside Australia that has rebuilt a bevel engine, you have to be kidding guys!!!!...I find it unbelievable that no-one else has EVER put a set of rings in...come on, share your information so that everyone else can easily source parts....or is it just us Aussies that freely devulge info????
And yes, I am like a blue healer onto a beast, I will eventually wear you down!!!!
Grover
Diana

Piston rings

Post by Grover »

Well 232 views of this post, and still none of you have bought a set of piston rings........fair dinkum guys, it must be our Aussie air that wears these things out, and Wdietz186 just beats his to death....so that makes about 4 of us here who have ever purchased piston rings.......Do any of you non aussies know what a blue healer is?...I have the same determination!!!!
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

blue heeler-some sort of tv show-so what you want is an overseas source of rings that you dont need?
and yes us aussies seem a bit more forthcoming-if theres anything else you dont need just ask :-D :-D :-D
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

:lol: :lol: :lol: maybe we should have an Aussie sub section :lol: :lol: :lol:
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

nup not enough moderators- :shock:
Grover
Diana

Piston Rings

Post by Grover »

Steve, some good aussie sarcasm, love it......but seriously, I am just curious as to what other people use for rings and where they source them. I am amazed that no-one else wants to share information where and what they use apart from us few here on this thread. If this was on the Blackbird site I would have had many replies, but then again they are mostly all aussies.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Grover, I was rooting through my piles of old parts[ I'm a packrat at heart] and found an 86mm piston.It is made by AE which stands for Associated Engineers it is/was a supplier to many manufacturers. I probably have some 86.4 's in there somewhere. When I was racing my 900 in the production class I would replace the pistons every season due to skirt scuffing. I can send you some slightly used rings if you want them. Later I started using Wiseco pistons and they used thinner rings than the stock pistons. I remember looking through Wisecos catalog and seeing rings listed by size. All you really need is the ring width and diameter plus the style top ring you desire. I've also used Total Seal gapless rings in my belt 900 and been very impressed with the performance gain. They also list rings by size and can help with application if you are unsure of what you need. Hope this helps,Bill
Grover
Diana

Piston Rings

Post by Grover »

See, now there is some sensible feedback....thanks for the offer of rings, Martin has helped me out there. Interesting what you say about gapless rings, the Ducati guy that rebuilt my gearbox is at the moment trialling a set. He has been rebuilding Dukes for 20 years and he has not been able to match a set of rings from the automotive market to suit 86.4mm pistons. The spares guys I work with have all the books you talk about...aussie versions of course...and they havent come up with anything either. Thats what I keep pushing this topic for, to get people talking about what they use, brands, part numbers etc....it eventually makes it easier for everyone who owns a bevel engine.
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

here is a link Steve posted a while back

http://www.deves.com/devesrings/cycles_DUCATI.cfm

Eldert
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Piston Rings

Post by BevHevSteve »

Grover wrote:Thanks to Martin I have some rings, BUT, I notice no replies from overseas....you folk must rebuild these engines to, so as a matter of interest what do you use for rings???....what brand???...where do you purchase them???.....do you have supply problems???? Thanks
www.deves.com for rings to fit your Ducati
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”