Piston Rings 86.4mm

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

oops, didn;t notice Eldert already posted this link.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Grover
Diana

Piston Rings

Post by Grover »

Well see that, if ya keep nipping at peoples heels you eventually get somewhere....now we all know where to go when we need piston rings if we cant source them locally....thanks guys!!!!!
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

grover the glitch in the 86.4 rings is the size of the oil ring it is a oddball
size,the first and second rings are same size as used in car engines
i think toyota was the name tossed about by my engine guy,he too searched
for other options than ducati.
Grover
Diana

Piston Rings

Post by Grover »

You are correct....that is the problem with the Ducati pistons....Deves dont make the .4 over rings. Somewhere in the world there's either a big supply of Ducati rings or someone is machining something to fit. The more info we can gather on the topic has got to make it easier for everyone.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I would imagine if one was to contact Deves directly they would be able to supply what you desire.After all how much demand is there for std. size rings on 30yr. old anythings?
dewjantim
Mariana

Post by dewjantim »

I'm preparing for a top end job on my 860/900 engine. Have been looking at Total Seal Gapless Rings. It says on their website to contact them and they will make rings for you if they don't make anything which will fit your engine. Good luck mate.........Dewey.
Grover
Diana

Rings

Post by Grover »

Well at least they got back to you, sent an inquiry to Deves....still no answer...spose they don't want anyones business!!!
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

For an international response to rings... when I lived in the US (three years ago) I had a smoky rear pot on my rebuilt '76 900SS. I had pulled the heads for inspection and just replaced them during the rebuild. @12000 miles. Bores were a bit scuffed, pistons same, both at the the outer end of tolerances. Thought about oversize pistons/ rings and rebore but was persuaded to just do a deglaze hone and bought some new rings from.... Phil at Road and Race. Fitted original pistons/ new rings and - voila - no smoke. Three years and a few thousand miles later still great.

The rings that Phil sold me (can't remember brand) Phil said had great oil scraper rings on 'em and would work in edge-of-tolerance bores; and he wasn't joking.

Cheers (from Englnad, now)
Geoff
toomuch
Mariana

Post by toomuch »

Is it a good practice to reuse the piston rings if they have no wear ?

Cheers

S
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Bores were a bit scuffed, pistons same, both at the the outer end of tolerances. Thought about oversize pistons/ rings and rebore but was persuaded to just do a deglaze hone and bought some new rings from.... Phil at Road and Race. Fitted original pistons/ new rings and - voila - no smoke. Three years and a few thousand miles later still great.

The rings that Phil sold me (can't remember brand) Phil said had great oil scraper rings on 'em and would work in edge-of-tolerance bores; and he wasn't joking.
I did the same on my 74 GT recently, as did a mate on his 73 GT using the same type of rings (different size obviously). I had a few conversations with Phil about the rings he was selling, as the oil ring cross section is totally different to the original section. He pointed out that ring materials and technology had advanced significantly, and this type and material was exceptionally good for bedding in to unbored (but honed) cylinders, and longivity was no issue. The ring material is a bit more brittle, so you need to be careful not to bend them when fitting - we used a car ring squeezer to fit the piston into the cylinder.

Too early to speak about longivity as I've only done 1000km, but compression is brilliant and certainly not a wisp of oil smoke even at inital running in. I'd have no hesitation using em again.
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

toomuch wrote:Is it a good practice to reuse the piston rings if they have no wear ?

Cheers

S
I wouldn't; for the best outcome fit new rings and hone.
jockduck
Mariana

Rings

Post by jockduck »

Yeah, I have had no problems re-using "old" rings, If they measure up OK and the piston and bore is good it should work

Ian B

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”