Gearbox

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
splanchio
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Gearbox

Post by splanchio »

Can anybody tell me if a 3 dog gearbox from an electric start only Darmah will fit a 1978 900ss engine?Obviously i'd have to use the original kick starter shaft/pawl from the ss
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Isn't the 3dog box of later models like 82 onwards?
One would think that the selectors ,shafts etc etc would all be different and the shaft bearing positioning in the cases would therefore also differ ,
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

According to Stephen Eke's book three dog gearbox components can be used on earlier models. He seems to recommend replacing individual gears, particularly fifth.

Any gear selection problems I have ever had with my 1979 SS have been the result of a poorly adjusted selector mechanism rather than with the box itself.
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
gavin
Mariana

gearbox

Post by gavin »

my ssd gearbox is a mixture of three and six dog gears.the layshaft and mainshaft are the same for both gearboxs so there should be no trouble.the 3 dog is supposed to be more reliable.
sevicke
Mariana

Post by sevicke »

my top gear spit in two and thats the prob with the more than three dog set up I was lucky the bits sat on the kick starter housing and didnt do any damage. brought some three dog gears from v2 did up some others and shaved the rest of the gears down to three dog. No worries since then

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”