SSD owners , how many do we have

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

SSD owners , how many do we have

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi All
I did what Jordan did the other day and looked at some of the older posts and I started to think just how many SSD owners we might have here?
I know of several here in OZ

I have one and a 2nd coming soon both of these are US plate compliant
Craig in France
Paso 906

SSD owners on the Forum

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Martin,

There's me, as you know ...

If you can get me the frame and engine numbers of any of the Oz owners, that would be good. I've got about 30 bikes on the little register I've set up. I started it originally to test a hunch I had that SSDs were, effectively, made in 2 batches and that certainly seems to have been the case. But more records would always be useful.

Ciao

Craig in France

SSD
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Hi Craig
Yes I know you have one , the simplest way to tell if you have an early or late SSD is to look at the gear linkage setup, if the linkage is below the lever its an early one and above its a late one

Both mine are late ones one with the engine number ending 888 and the other 834 ,from memory the US only received 80 odd Australia about 340 and the rest else where and who only knows how many have been totaled and scrapped for parts
Craig in France
Paso 906

Hi Martin,

Yeh, differentiating between the two production runs is relatively easy, once you know how.

My interest in the numbers started from a statement in one of the reference guides that the SSD numbers started from frame number 950***. It now appears that this was, in fact, the second production run, with the bikes generally being dated as 1980. The first production run, which appears to have been in 1979, was of a fewer number of bikes and these have frame numbers in the sequence 903***.

(God, I'm a tedious git ... Must get out more next year)

Ciao

Craig

P.s Still happy to get any numbers, preferably both frame and engine and, if available, production/registration date.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Im not sure exactly what bike I have , but my frame # is 903477 and my engine # is 903138. Not sure if that helps, or if you can identify what I have!! Mike
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Mike
Has your bike got rear sets ? and clip ons and how many bolts hold your idiot light console 2 or 4
got a picture
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

No rearsets, no clip ons. And I think mine has the four bolt patern.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Sounds like you have one of these
http://www.bevelheaven.com/index.html
Craig in France
Paso 906

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:Hi Craig
... the simplest way to tell if you have an early or late SSD ...
Hi Martin,

Here's another difference, only of interest to the saddest of people ... :?

The fairings between the two series are different. Not by much, but Ducati changed the angle of the bit that comes down nearest your knee, probably because, when they relocated the footpegs, the factory testers kept bashing theirs :) ...

Not even Tony Brancato believed me on this. It was only when I put my original series 1 fairing up against his series 2 mould that he went, "Ok, agreed (you sad git)".

Once you know about it, you can actually see the difference by looking VERY closely at the factory's 1 page advertiser which shows a series 1 bike.
Craig in France
Paso 906

SD or SSD?

Hi Mike,

4 bolts = SD.

And the frame and engine numbers don't tally with the SSD numbers I have.

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”