My first vintage Duck

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Well gentlemen...it runs!! Still lots left to do. The 2 into 1 pipe is much quieter than I thought it would be. Also it doesnt want to idle yet and only wants to start on full choke. My bike doesnt have an oil dipstick so I am very nervous about the oil level. Can you run semi syn in these engines?A shop around the corner closed up and they had a bunch of yamalube 10w50 semi syn so i bought it on the cheap but havnt put any in the bike ...
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

If it is SG rated then OK if it isn't then don't
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Some pics of the bike after a short ride today. What a fun motor! Great low end power... Aslo a few random pics of my buddys monster, my step dads very nice restored SR 500, and some painting and assembling pics..... Still gotta finish it. The pipe still needs paint and so on.....Enjoy !
http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/Da ... hJeffsBike#
lomax
Mariana

Post by lomax »

Congratulations ! Another SD back in operation :-D

good work so far 8)

Cheers

Joe
You are in doubt ?......ask a Kraut ;-)
Cheers from Germany
(Ducati 900 SD, Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K6, Suzuki GSX 1200 Inazuma)
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Finally got a chance to paint the wheels. Some corrosion pitting in the mags but nothing to bothersome. Its amazing how poor the casting is from the factory on these wheels. Dimples, grind marks and lots of slag. Hope someone enjoys my painting jig !!
http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/Ca ... 8707106386
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

very low tech, but hey it works and looks fine as well
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

The bike looks great but you have to do something about that exhaust. It just isn't classy enough for the bike.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Here are some photos of my wheels after paint. These pics are a month old or so....I have since ridden the bike quite a bit and am still working out the bugs...lots of bugs. Mostly at this point with the ignition pick ups and the carbs..oh and the clutch and we just fixed a wheel bearing issue. And the list goes on. http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/Pa ... rmahWheels#
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Updated photos. All thats left to do is wrap the exuast headers, get some new handle bars and a decent cleaning of the engine. Oh and it still doesnt run correctly, but im working on it.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/DarmahAlmostDone#
lomax
Mariana

Post by lomax »

Good job ! Respect ! Thanx for the pics

Cheers

Joe
You are in doubt ?......ask a Kraut ;-)
Cheers from Germany
(Ducati 900 SD, Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K6, Suzuki GSX 1200 Inazuma)
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Update ! As some of you have read in my many, many, many other posts, I had gotten the bike running but it would not run correctly. It had a high rpm break up that I couldnt pin point. Well, I ended up pushing it to the back of the shed for a while. Then one day I looked at it and realised it was vaery late in the summer and I had put much time and money into it so I decided to bring it to a profesional. I found a small Ducati shop about 2 hours away from my house. He had it for a few days then called me to confirm my suspitions. At idle the front cylinder was at about 37 degrees advance. After much trial and error with pick up location, he has the bike runnnung pretty smooth. Looks like I may be able to put a few miles on her after all this year.
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
sevicke
Mariana

wont run correctly

Post by sevicke »

try the proper pipes that will help, I had two in to one like that built by some hill billy. Ran like crap, the desmo doctor say "heres some old contis put them on bit rusty but very mind". I did it ran right bingo sounded good ran good looked good.Instant cure one of the great things about these bikes is the sound,but not with that two into one. Other than that your bike looks great, real nice.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Yes, a set of pipes is on the short list. The "get it running fund" has about tripled, so any major purchases for it are not going to happen this year. Unless someone has a cheap set of conti like pipes!
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
sevicke
Mariana

bike

Post by sevicke »

know what ya mean I dont keep receipts thats for sure. That would be plain depressing. Ignorance is bliss. I saw the price of contis and its shocking, when pipes are virtually consumables and the first thing to go in a spill. Alright if you dont plan riding the thing.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

contis expensive? Hvae you checked into ANYTHING for a modern Ducati? You are going to spen a grand at least more for your modern duck exhaust............. :roll:
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”