My first vintage Duck

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Bruce /Mike,

The darmah I would strip totally based on the corrosive look, I d say the wheel brgs /bores /carbs/brakes may be in a sorry state. But, it would be worth it in the end.

Bruce- I agree with Steve and martin, and as a B&G owner with wire wheels, mate you cant go wrong, the "classic" look.
I know a few Silver screamers out there may dissagree but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder eh.
In regards your present scheme, if you enjoy it, go for it. I noted you said you inspected your wheels, that good, but I think as the years pass I would want to get em xrayed or something as hairline cracks may be hidden under paint, and the factory recalled them originally for a good reason. Mine were recalled all those years ago in England, and were upspecced to FPS.
Last thing you want is a failure, for all concerned!
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

I suppose its time for an update. The bike is coming along slowly. The cylinders are at the machine shop getting bored to 87mm to match up to my wiseco pistons. That should clean up all the rust nicely. I had to have a couple fins welded back onto the top cylinder that I broke off while tring to get the stuck piston out. The carbs have been completely rebuilt and soda blasted in my driveway with that homemade soda blast contraption I found. The look decent and are ready to go. The half donkey wiring is all cleaned up. The bike had been hot wired some time ago with a toggle switch hanging off the side to turn on the ignition. Upon repairing the mess we dicovered that the reason was a faulty key switch, wich we took apart and cleaned up and it works good as new.I also bought one of steves pick up wire harneses to replace my corroded crusty broken one. I still havnt wired it into the engine as of yet. The heads are off to my local Ducati shop to have new valve seals installed and to give them a going over. I found that the rear brakes didnt work simply because he bolt holding the caliper together had backed out and the o ring wasnt sealing...... Still have to find a tank, since I discovered mine was rustier than first thought. Also need a seat lock, handlebars,speedo cable, airfilters,oil filters and im sure lots of unseen that have yet toshow themselves. I still have to figure out how to get the baffle out of my exaust pipe. It seems to be rusted in. The engine is on a stand in the shed and every night i go out for a while with a wire brush and try to do a bit of cleaning. Its a slow process. This bike will not win ant beauty awards, but I like my old bikes to look like old bikes.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Mike I got a handle bar and speedo cable you can have if you pay for shipping, and of cause you will as the parts are free :lol: :-D :lol: :-D why I'm I doing this WHY NOT you know the drill PM me LOL
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Martin you are becoming my main source of parts!
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Lets just say these parts I wont be needing as most of mine uses clip-ons and the spare triple clamp I have will undergo some machining and welding some more machining and than off to the powder-coaters
Can we see what you have done to bike so far Pictures thanks
what other parts are you looking for ?
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

We've got a couple of threads going here, sorry Mike if yours got a bit hijacked. In answer to your question, Campy wheels don't seem to have the bad reputation that Speedlines have but they are 30 years old now so they should be carefully checked.

BevHevSteve, I have some Borrani rims already in the correct sizes for the bike, WM3 for the front and WM4 for the rear plus all the necessary hubs, bearings, carriers etc. I am now just budgeting for stainless spokes to complete the project.

As far as the colour it seems that black and gold wins. Its on the list for next winter's project.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Newest pics..soda blsted my shock bodies in the driveway. They cleaned up decent....
http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/Da ... #slideshow
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Took the forks off today. Was tired of waiting for my engine parts and got bored. I cant believe how much of a pain it was to drop the forks. The fender studs prevent you from pulling one down at a time, seems you have to pull both down at the same time then remove the fender once the forks are free from the clamps. Is there an easier method when re assembling? Also was suprised to see I had to pull a caliper off to get the wheel out. All in good fun I guess. Im going to bead blast the headlight ears and paint them black. And clean up the fork lowers, also plan to repaint the brake rotors.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/Da ... KGH--rywwE#
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Got my heads back...fresh grind, fresh seals, cleaned up the ports, and fresh adjustment...
http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/DarmahHeads#
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

hey miz
on the ss one caliper needs unbolting and moving to get wheel out-just the way it is-no big drama--but do it carefully
ss mudguard -you can get off-its pliable fibreglass-can be got off with care.
top end looks good--just hope bottom end doesnt go-omg,to much compression---clakclakclak

steve
so much time--so little to say
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

mizike - thanks for posting your progress by the way..............
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

My new tank came in. Tried to clean out my old fuel taps and mount to the new tank but one of them is junk. The new seat looks good too. Some more photos. All the boxes in my shed are starting to look like a shipping wharehouse! http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/DarmahNewTank#
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Pics of the finished cylinders, steering head bearing replacement, fork oil change, and messing wih engine timing. My two broken fins came out better than I thought they would.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/Ta ... sAndTiming#
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Engine going back together....Has Steves aluminium bevel tubes...makes the rest of the engine look filthy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/MotorAssemble#

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”