clutch cover bearing removal

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
desodero
Mariana

clutch cover bearing removal

Post by desodero »

hi to all,trying to remove bearing from clutch cover ,this is a crankshaft
support bearing,is retained by circlip and has washer on other side,have appropiate blind bearing removal tool ,bearing does not feel like moving
is this a common problem,am i missing something obvious,am not too keen on warming up cover as ignition pickups are mounted on cover and do want to remove these.
thanks derek
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The bearing is a tight fit and I've always had to heat the cover to remove it. You could make a shield from some aluminum flashing or thin sheet steel to protect the wires and pickups from the flame of a torch. The heat shouldn't affect the pickups. Heat the side away from the pickup and you should be OK
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

thanks will give that a try
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Derek- I just went through this with my 750. In my case not only was the bearing tight but it had been staked in as well. After carefully peening back the stakes I tried the removal tool. Problem is that it is awkward at best and hard to apply enough force to the tool handles without another set of hands or clamping the cover (wasn't going to try that). What I did was to clamp the barrel part of the tool uside down in the vise with the cover starring me in the face. You only get about 1/8 of a turn on the handle at a time(depending on your vise), but you get the maximum amout of leverage without the risk of damage to your precious cover. Hope this makes sense, it worked for me without the use of heat. Once I got it going, had it out in a few minutes. Assuming you have the factory tool and not one of the universal 'knockers'. I can post a pic if this isn't clear enough. Jordan
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

thanks jordan,i dont have the factory tool ,yes am using a universal tool
with the aid of a friend holding the cover,question i would ask you when you
are removing bearing do you seat tool under the washer that seats against
the bearing and remove with the bearing or do you only remove bearing and leave washer in place.
thanks derek
ps any pictures you have are worth a look
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Derek- no washer under mine so I guess someone had been there before, as it is pictured in the parts book for 750. common sense would tell me to seat the puller on the bearing not the washer but I could be wrong here. there doesn't seem to be a description of this operation in Cycleserv or Haynes books. however there is a nice pic of the same tool demonstrated on page 29 of Cycleserv-Servicing Ducati 750/860 'removing the countershaft bearing' if you have this book.

one thought on heat: 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes and the bearing may fall out on its own. center rack in oven works great for even heat distribution but you would probably have to pull the electrics.

the factory tool for this operation is #88713.0269 or 88713.0270 I bought mine from Andreas in Germany, here is the link https://ssl.kundenserver.de/desmo.net/shop/ select 'tools' from the drop menu. looks like he still has them in stock for 64EUR plus about 30 for post, so figure around 150AUD. seemed worth it to me as this extractor is used for all the blind bearings. also cheap insurance against cracking a cover or case, I just don't trust non-factory tools when working with aluminum parts.

I will post a pic for you in the next 24.

Jordan
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Derek- now that I have the pics up, here are some more thoughts. keeping in mind that you may have to modify your approach for square case parts. first off removing the bearing from the clutch cover was a piece of cake using tool and vise method. bearing is smaller than inside dia. of tool so it comes all the way out. of course there is no washer under the bearing in the clutch cover-my mistake.

now as for the timing/alternator cover I hope my pics are pretty self explanatory. I did indeed have to seat the puller behind the washer and there seems to be just enough room to do this. however I had to modify the tool slightly so that it would reach far enough to catch behind the washer. believe me when I say it took alot of force to get that sucker going even using the vise method but once it broke free it came out pretty good. I do not think you will get enough force applied to the bearing using the puller that you have. because the bearing is larger than the inside dia. of the tool I had to move to the press to finish the job. once you get to this point you can reseat the puller core behind the bearing itself and not the washer. I'm sure you could just pound it out from this point without the press.

I am fortunate to have access to a well equiped shop (thanks Grandpa) and I got lucky finding just the right spacers at hand for use in the press. all in all it took a bit less than an hour to do the job by myself and take pictures along the way.

hope this helps and let us all know how it goes.

Jordan
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

jordan thanks for the pictures,i did look at the tool at the website you provided,looking at your pictures made my decision simple,i will use my
universal tool to grip bearing but not washer ,turn cover over find the needed
drifts and sleeves and press it out on my workshop press.
heating the cover would have to be a last option,as these covers are not easy to get. i will post and let you no results,the fact the bearing is so tight tends to make us err on the side of caution
thank you and wdietz186 for your thoughts
derek.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Jordan - thank you for posting your thoughts and photos on this problem. Your time and effort into this for the good of all is exactly why this forum is here.......

Good Job!
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”