Replacing cylinder sleeves

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
sduc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Replacing cylinder sleeves

Post by sduc »

I would like to replace the sleeves of my 750GT cylinders. Any tips or is it just a matter of the right temperature and the sleeves can be pushed out?!

Thanks in advance
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Not done it myself, but the form is allegedly to place the barrel/ liner assembly upside down in the oven (send wife to off-licence for some more beer) leaving the area below the liner clear. Liner drops out when it gets to the right temperature. Replacement is the reverse, though I understand putting a weight on top of the liner ensures it stays fully engaged while cooling (otherwise apparently the top edge of the liner can stand proud of the barrel; if this happens you'll need to press it home when cool).
cheers
Geoff
sduc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sduc »

Hi Goeff
Thanks a lot for your advice.
I will try it and let you know how it worked.

Cheers

Beat
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

The oven trick does indeed work. Have a friend and some heavy duty gloves at the ready as you may need to help them get started or coax them all the way out once they get going. Seems to me like about 350-400F and about 20-30 minutes did the trick for me. Keep them moving until they are all the way out, getting a liner stuck half way is a real drag...literally.
andygbsmith
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andygbsmith »

A l,arge propane torch and 200oC works on Vincents so the same should work well on the Duke.
Andy
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

I have done it twice to ducati barrls.Its very very easy. Put it in the oven around 375 15-20 mins or so, take it out, hit the liner with a mallet then grab it with a glove or oven mitt and they came right out no problem. Putting new ones in is easier. Just heat up the barrel as before and put the new liners in the freezer. They pretty much fall in !!

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”