engine rebuild?

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
co311a
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

engine rebuild?

Post by co311a »

hi, i`ve a 72 gt bevel i`m restoring in the guise of a 750sport, have done the frame and am wondering whether to start to strip the engine down and see what state bores and rings are in also the valves etc.
Is this an easy task or better left to an expert, i would just like some advice from somebody whos been there and done it,and the difficulties
and tips etc ? cheers
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

It really depends on how skilled you are... I just finished up a 750 GT and the engine took me a lot longer to do than i had expected. There are a lot of steps involved and while none of them are particularly difficult, they do require pretty good attention to detail and a few special tools. And by sepcial tools, I mean if the person/shop hasn't rebuilt a roundcase before, they haven't got the tool.

This assumes you're splitting the cases. If you just want to pull the heads, it's not all that involved. Figuring out the timing marks will probably be your biggest challange - they only line up once every six revolutions so can be confusing if you don't understand what's going on.

If you just want to check the condition of the rings and valves, do a leakdown test - no dissembly required...

In any case, you do have a shop manual or two for this, right? If not, don't even think about pulling the engine apart.
co311a
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by co311a »

thanks for the reply, i have taken the head off tonight and looked at the
condition of the bore and valves and i think it looks ok, but i am wondering if it would be worth just putting new rings in while its in bits.

the bore of the liner looks like its still cross honed, so hopefully its in good order.
dont really know what to do with the valves,shall i leave alone or go in ?
from looking in the manual it suggests that a few special tools are
needed so dont really know.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”