Front wheel exploded view

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Front wheel exploded view

Post by My750GT »

Hi Everyone!

I've finally got around to fitting a new speedo drive gear to the axle to my '73 GT. The new kit comes with a spacer. I've come in from the shed a little confused and was hoping someone could get me onto an exploded view of how the axle components go on, in order. I'm finding that the bearings are binding when I do up the end nut. I can see that my Dad has at some point lightly ground down the larger radius of the axle. For what reason, I have no idea. Can anyone get me onto information on how to correctly install all the parts. Is the axle used as a sliding adjuster to eliminate play in the front wheel, then clamped with the axle clamp? Hopefully someone understands what I getting at. What is used to ensure that the wheel is running centred in the axle? I'll continue researching...

Cheers, Darcy
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Front wheel exploded view

Post by BevHevSteve »

we have the 750 manual posted on the main website

http://bevelheaven.com/manuals/750GT-Sport_P.pdf

Sitting on the bike looking down:

The axle goes in from the right side side through fork leg, speed-drive, thin washer, hub, spacer, fork leg, washer, nut.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by My750GT »

Thanks Steve,

I found that manual myself shortly after I wrote the message. Turns out I'm missing the spacer that sits between the bearings inside the hub. You have it on your online store but with the exchange rate, it makes it an expensive piece of metal tube. Fortunately my place of work has a machine shop that I can utilise.
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

My750GT wrote:Turns out I'm missing the spacer that sits between the bearings inside the hub.
Blimey, Darcy, that was a lucky find! Kinda important, that spacer ... And the reason, of course, why your bearings were binding when the axle nut was tightened.

Just makes me wonder a) How'd it go missing in the first place? b) How come no-one noticed it was missing?

Mysteries, eh ...
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by My750GT »

Craig it certainly was a lucky discovery,
My Dad owned my bike since almost new and he gave it to me a few years back. Its been scuttled down roads, slid under buses and rebuilt numerous times over the years. I replaced the bearings a few years back and I don't recall there being that spacer back then. The bearings were in a similar state then too. I wouldn't have been aware it was missing not having looked at the manuals before. I'm learning its secrets as I go. Its a relationship that grows over time. Fortunately, we have this online resource to help us.
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

FYI shipping a bearing spacer to you via first class to you would be 10-15 USD only.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by My750GT »

Thanks for the info Steve.

I made one up at work the other day on the lathe. Just need some fresh bearings and some good weather.
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”