Old oil filter separated from cap in my '74 GT! Help!!

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
motomerle
Mariana

Re: plug woes

Post by motomerle »

Setve,
Thanks again. This is indeed the parts that are stuck together although I really don't know how hard they are bound as I really haven't been able to get a purchase to pull out on it. I've had situations where something seemingly bound either because of being too slippery to grab onto that popped loose with very little effort, once a purchase could be brought to bear on it. I'm hoping this is the case here. The only thing I've tried is a pic on as handle that I borrowed from a friend's small engine shop. He uses it to pull shot O rings and fiber washer from chain saw carbs. I tried to get it inside the filter on the plug end but it's pretty open and I couldn't get it to catch on anything enough to get a grip.

I guess I'm going to have to move the front pipe I can run a threaded rod int but I'm not looking foward to disturbing it as none of the clamps have been loosened since '84 when I had a top end rebuild(when there was still a Ducati dealer in this area code). I never even realized there was a balance tube between the two pipes until I started looking a how to go about freeing the pipe up to get easy access.
BevHevSteve wrote:merle, Geoff's suggestion sounds great if the all thread will suffeciantly grab the inside of that end it will work. FYI I get 7.9mm ID on the plastic end of the screen where you need to insert that all-thread, so I'd bet an 8mm threaded rod would do the trick.

Photos posted

Note the little rubber wierd thing on the left in the photo, this is the part that is secured into the case with the screw on the bottom of the case that the filter screen unit slips into., wouldn;t it be grand if simply unscrewing that little set screw thing would mean both pieces coming right out? Maybe someone who is an expert bevel engine builder can advise, but I think this is the case... I AM NOT SURE OF THIS AS FACT but pretty darn sure.

I believe these are the 2 parts that have stuck together right?
motomerle
Mariana

Looking at the picture in your reply

Post by motomerle »

I'll try to describe what appears to have happened.

I don't have the replacement in front of me and the filter that's in there had an internal skelton and is grey hard plastic, not rubber. It came out of the cap where it was held by a compression fit with a rubber collar. The end that fits the rubber thingy in the casehad the screen over the wide shoulder of the filter and the smaller diameter grey plastic end passing through it, so it would be screen in contact with the thingy at the shoulder. As I recall, it was pretty flimsy and I'm wondering if the thin ribs got brittle and broke which would seem to be the only way for the cap end to be that far in as it would be bottomed in the cap and the thingy at probably 3/8" in plus the innerr lenght of the cap(as well as the rubber which is bottomed against the shoulder apst the end of the threads.

The cap, until I removed it, still had the rubber collar inside it but the hard plastic end of the filter is about 3/8" deeper than the end of the cap when screwed in.

I'm making the assumption of the assembly but I don't think there is any rubber bit on that side of the cas
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

case plug

Post by BevHevSteve »

the case plug shown in my photo is a stock part held in place by a slotted set screw you can see on the bottom of your case. The set screw is staked so you must make sure to file or otherwise get rid of or smooth out the staked part then remove it. Then everything should slide out the motor. Seperate the case plug and old screen then reinstall the case plug. If it is completely screwed up let me know I think I have a loose one in stock. Then reinstall everything and stake the screw again with a center punch
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”