750gt cam removal

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
TomL
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

750gt cam removal

Post by TomL »

Well, after assessing my 750 I pulled the the head off the front cylinder and found that the guides were junk. My question is which way does the cam and gear remove? I want to remove the cam and bearing so I can clean it all up and don't want to risk getting debris in the bearing. I pulled the screws from the retainer and tapped the end of the cam with a soft hammer towards the bevel gear but didn't get much movement. Thanks in advance.
Tom
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: 750gt cam removal

Post by wdietz186 »

Knock back the locktab, unscrew the cam nut[22mm LEFTHAND thread] and carefully tap cam out the cam block side. Note the shims behind the gear and on each side of the cam if any. After the cam is out you can remove the bevel housing, spacer and the inner cam bearing[heat the head].
There are manuals here on the site. I think the 860 is the most useful for the component layout and instructions.
Note the shim locations and thicknesses on the rockers, you want to have the rocker centered on the valve stem when assembled.
Bern
Parallel Twin

Post by Bern »

Hi folks,
Been a while. The bike is running great but there has been a small leak from the bevel housing since I did the heads a few years back. I thought I needed to remove the bevel housings to pull the heads at the time, turns out I didn't but I likely damaged the gasket trying to remove it. I'm trying to replace the gasket on the bevel housing closest to the head on the rear upright cylinder. I have the cam out and have removed the 4 allen nuts holding the housing to the head. I can get a little movement in the bevel housing but it won't let go.

As I recall there is a spline that sits over the upright bevel shaft and the shaft is split at that point so it should just release. What am I missing.

Thanks!
Bernie
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

If I remember correctly the spacer between the cam bearing in the head and the one in the bevel housing is preventing you from lifting it off. That and I think there is a lip on the back of the housing that helps center it with the head. Time to drop it out and do it right.
Bern
Parallel Twin

Post by Bern »

Someone told me I could do it without dropping the engine. No harm in trying, glad I didn't use a bigger hammer :oops: . I don't have a garage to do it in at the moment so went for the easiest option first.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

You will have to drop the engine (at least : disconnect chain, cables etc and remove the two upper enginebolts) to get the WHOLE head off.
You removed the cam so there is a chance You can lift the head enough to get it squeezed between the frame.
The bevelhousing is fixed with four allens AND a little dowel to keep it in place.
There IS a lip of about 3-4 mm that centers the housing in the head.
As mentioned : better to drop the engine .

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Bern
Parallel Twin

Post by Bern »

I saw the dowel in the exploded parts diagram. I assumed there would be enough play in the vertical shaft to pull the housing out. I'll try lifting the head up in situ first, if I have to drop the engine then so be it.
Bern
Parallel Twin

Post by Bern »

I didn't have to drop the engine, all in all pretty straightforward.
remove rear exhaust
remove rear carb
lift head to max distance and shim it in position, I used 2 putty knife handles
I was able to wiggle the bevel housing off
cleaned the old gaskets off
replaced with new gaskets.
I had to take off one spacer on the cam bevel as the gasket I was using was thicker.

Bern
Parallel Twin

Post by Bern »

She is dry, dry, dry.. Thanks for the help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsqt7a_EEvk

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”