Smiths Instrument Rebuild

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
thessler3
Mariana

Smiths Instrument Rebuild

Post by thessler3 »

I just received my 1973 750GT instruments back from Nisonger, located in Mamaroneck, NY. Nisonger has been in this business since 1949! -*!^- I had them refurbish the Smiths speedometer and tachometer, which were previously working, but very tired looking. They also were out of calibration and the needles wavered continuously. On looks alone, Nisonger did a fantastic job. The instruments look almost brand new. They were even able to save the sticker on the speedo that warned not to pull on the stem of the trip reset knob. I will be reinstalling the instruments this week with new rubbers and cables from Bevel Heaven and I expect them to work well. I will repost if I have any problems.
geodoc
750 GT

Re: Smiths Instrument Rebuild

Post by geodoc »

How much did they nick you for to O/H the pair?
thessler3 wrote:I just received my 1973 750GT instruments back from Nisonger, located in Mamaroneck, NY. Nisonger has been in this business since 1949! -*!^- I had them refurbish the Smiths speedometer and tachometer, which were previously working, but very tired looking. They also were out of calibration and the needles wavered continuously. On looks alone, Nisonger did a fantastic job. The instruments look almost brand new. They were even able to save the sticker on the speedo that warned not to pull on the stem of the trip reset knob. I will be reinstalling the instruments this week with new rubbers and cables from Bevel Heaven and I expect them to work well. I will repost if I have any problems.
thessler3
Mariana

Post by thessler3 »

The cost is $170 per unit. Not cheap, but they really do a nice job. The face, glass and everything look almost brand new but somehow retain the period look for 40 year-old instruments.
thessler3
Mariana

Post by thessler3 »

By the way, I took a short ride and the needles no longer waver. Also, the speedometer appears to be accurate. Previously, before the rebuild, it was reading 15 to 25 mph too high. I told friends I had the first 150mph 750GT before I had the speedo recalibrated.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”