750GT valve clearances

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
gabby
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

750GT valve clearances

Post by gabby »

Hi. This may have been asked many times but I can't find it so apologies in advance. The original owner manual and other Ducati info states clearance for both inlet and exhaust is 0.10mm.
All aftermarket manuals I can dig up (Haynes, Cycleserv and other sources) state 0.10mm for inlet and 0.15mm for exhaust. What should it be?
Mine has screw adjustment, if it makes a difference. Apparentl;y some GTs didn't have shim adjustment. Thanks
gabby
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gabby »

Might answer my own question here: the best I can determine is that the original Ducati manuals are wrong (surprise!) and the exhaust should be 0.15mm ...0.006 inch. That does sound better anyway. Cheers
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Ian Falloon's book quotes the factory clearances as does Mick Walker. I don't know where the Haynes manual gets its numbers. I do know that recommended valve clearances for desmo twins are all over the map so it all seems a guessing game or else there are a lot of self-appointed 'experts'. Surely, though, the factory must have known what they were doing???!!!???.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

You would be really hard pressed to notice any difference in noise or running with a .002" variance in the exhaust clearance. With the wear/slop in the rocker bushings and the ball of the adjuster the measurement will change a little every time the valve opens and shuts depending on the position of the rocker bushing.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”