Roundcase dry clutch

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Roundcase dry clutch

Post by BevelDave »

I see Bevel Rubber has a roundcase dry clutch available now. Looks good and covers are Magnesium. Why would you make the cover from Magnesium?
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day Dave,

Simple answer to your question is weight saving ! The external covers are really under no major stress, so it certainly makes sense to me.

I had a look at the Bevel Rubber web site, and it sure looks the goods if you have the cash available. It prompted me to have a look around at the alternatives, but there doesn't appear to be any. ???? ( Roundcase )

Mario Sassi appears to make a squarecase Mille version, but that's all I could find. Steve has "some" bits, as does Gowanlocks, Road & Race and the new Vee Two site is only a maketing page. it has no links to products at all.

Is anyone aware if the Sassi units are magnesium or normal Alloy ??

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

G'day Rick - what do you think the weight difference would be between the normal alloy and magnesium covers? I wouldn't have thought that it would make much real-world difference, particularly because it is "sprung" weight. The same weight saving on the forks or wheels might improve the ride and handling though.

I've got to agree with you that the roundcase dry clutch kit that Mr Birch is offering really does look pretty schmick, especially with the straight cut primary gears. It would be interesting to get an idea of the power saving. And I wonder what it sounds like when the lever is pulled? I've heard some pretty loud dry clutches.

Regards
Steve
1974 Ducati 750 GT
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Steve,

Yeah, would be interesting to know what the actual difference is. I'm certainly no authority, but the mag bits I have seen and felt in the past were incredibly light, as in less than half the weight of the Alloy equivalent. From memory, I recall the Vee Two covers were around 2 KGs so I'm guessing maybe 1 KG or less for the Mag cover.

I agree, on it's own, stuff all difference, but as my racing mates keep telling me, "every bit counts " especially given many of the new MX bikes are going to magnesium covers as well, so there must be something in it.

It's a mute point for me anyway as I don't race a roundcase, but his website blurb seems to indicate a Squarecase unit on the way, so it will be interesting to watch the progress.

Cheers Rick.
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
GT Pete
Diana

Post by GT Pete »

The density of magnesium is approximately 2/3 that of aluminum.

Pete

edit: fixed wording
Last edited by GT Pete on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Thanks Pete ... know what you mean, have mentally substituted Mg for the first Al.
Cheers
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”