Exhaust header pipe variations 750 GT

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Exhaust header pipe variations 750 GT

Post by Steve Foster »

Does anyone know the difference between the headers for CONTI (0755.84.020 - vert, 0755.84.025 - horiz) and LAFRANCONI (0755.84.023, 0755.84.027) exhaust systems for the 750 GT? The same crossover pipe is used for both.
Thanks
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Steve,

I compared them late last year. From memory, they are pretty minor differences. Slightly different angles (and consequent clearance around the crank case - I don't remember which was the tighter fit).

I actually have the 023 and 027 on both my Sport (wrong!) and GT so can't direcly compare them here tonight. A friend of mine has spares of both, so if I have time tomorrow, I'll get a photo or two for you of them together.

Kev
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Kev - thanks for that. I was surprised to find that I had a 0755.84.027 horizontal header and a 0755.84.020 vertical. Having owned the bike continuously since '75 for all but the first 9 months of its life I wonder if it could have come from the factory this way. There is the possibility that it was replaced before I owned it or perhaps even surreptitiously when it was having a tune and service (on one occasion I am sure that a part had been swapped - coincidentally it was a Conti exhaust clamp that had been replaced with a plain one but I didn't realise it for some time .... I was less than impressed).

At one stage when I suffered temporary bouts of guilt (disturbing the neighbours at all hours) and insanity I briefly fitted some Lafranconis that were left over from my brother's Contified 900 GTS. As I recall they were a straight swap.

Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Steve,

Sorry, I've been off sick for three days with a nasty cold. (Others call it the "flu", but I've had that once and you know when you've had that particular beast!). It'll be the weekend before I can get the photos.

Kev
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Steve,

went round with camera tonight, but all I could capture were several sport/conti headers and a 75 SS header set. The GT headers were back on the bike. Sorry.

Kev
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Kev, thanks for your efforts. Another of life's mysteries that will remain unsolved for the time being.

In the recent Australian Motorcycle News 60th anniversary issue the green frame 750 SS was nominated as a "milestone motorcycle". It was described as "very italian - ... never quite built to specification [was there ever one anyway?] ...".

Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”