1974 750GT question

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
TKO
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1974 750GT question

Post by TKO »

Greetings All,

What are your guys thoughts on this beautiful bike currently on ebay? 0755.88.130 eng. and 765561 frame. Tried to verify these numbers on this website data for roundcases but didn't seem to find them. Can anyone verify? Anything not original?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 514wt_1167

Thank you in advance!

Tom
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey Tom,
Neither of those numbers correlate to serial numbers used on a '74 GT. The engine number you list is a part number and the number you have, 765561, is too high. Are you sure it is not 756561? This would make it a very late '74. Looking at the photos it looks like the engine number could be 755561 which would still be a '74. Where did you get those numbers?
Since the bike looks restored to some extent there could a number of things on it that are not "original". A completely "original" bike in this condition would be very hard to find indeed.
Some are listed, like the stainless spokes. redone seat, etc. Also the spark plug caps and wires ( however they are the correct black). Hand painted pin striping ( which probably means that the paint is not original) But, hey, that's picking.
This GT is very hard to pick apart though. It is nice. 8)
The good thing about a '74 is that they are easily restored (or more difficult depending on how you look at it) due to the fact that so many things can be "correct" because of the overlap and using up of existing inventories going into the 860 production. The very last '74s were very consistant in specification though.
Let us know if you jump.
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
TKO
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TKO »

Dean,

Thank you very much for the reply. You are right the eng. number. Looks to be 755561. The other number I got from a the sellers photo of a black tag which says Motociclo Ducati DM 750 S then... Ducati 0755.88.130. What would this be?

I understand you comment about originality. I realize that is has been restored but was just interested in if it was restored to original 'looking' specs.
Beautiful bike and well presented. I will try and contact the seller for more info.

Thanks again,

Tom
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hi Tom,
That black tag is the silencer homologation tag and has nothing to do with the frame or engine numbers. The "Ducati 0755.88.130" is the same number used for all of the round case bikes on that tag.
You're right. It is a beautiful bike and does look to be prepared very close to original specs.
BTW, it sounds great in the video.
Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Tom and Dean - at the risk of sounding anal there are a couple of other bits that aren't original in addition to those already mentioned - the rear shocks, air filters and the sidecover badges (black 750 Sport type).

The pinstriping on the tank and front guard was actually hand painted originally, so whoever did the paint job paid close attention to detail. The colour match looks pretty good too. The original paint - both maroon and gold types - faded badly and would craze.

It shows the typical features of the last series of 750 GTs - 5 light dash, plastic block handlebar switches and the key re-positioned from next to the side cover to further forward under the tank, all consistent with the engine number as Dean mentions.

I did notice a puff of smoke from the RH pipe when it was started - perhaps a valve guide on the way out?

But yeah - it does look and sound pretty good and I agree with Dean that it's pretty hard to pick apart and has been prepared close to original specs.

Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey Steve,
Good call on the side cover badges. I let the shocks slide because they looked correct minus the shrouds. It's hard to see in the photos. Almost everyone tossed the stock air filter system. Originals are hard to come by.
I noticed the puff of smoke on startup too but didn't see any more under acceleration or deceleration so probably nothing to worry about.
With a "Buy it now" at that price it would have to be, if not original, at least correct.
It is one of the better ones to come up in a while.
If you go back and look at it check out the Guzzi he's got up for sale as well. Also very nice!.
Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”