No oil to crankshaft

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
to_be
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

No oil to crankshaft

Post by to_be »

When I kickstart my roundcase engine there is oil delivered to both heads but there is no oil going to the crankshaft. I have the plug on the primary cover out so I can see the drilled supply to the ball bearing in the cover. Even when I fill some oil in there and kick nothing happens. The O Ring is installed and the gasket is not covering the hole. Any suggestions ?
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

If it runs, start it briefly and see if you are getting oil.It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to see.The feed from the pump runs across the cases directly from the outlet of the pump so if the heads are being fed the crank will be too.The size of the passages to the crank are alot bigger than the heads and they may take more than kicking speeds to provide the volume of oil to fill the passages.Keep in mind the pumps don't generate much pressure in operation so it doesn't really squirt out like a plain bearing engine would.
to_be
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by to_be »

Somehow the gasket between the engine cases had no hole for the oil supply ! I didn't assemble the engine so I don't know if it was never there or the gasket was installed wrong. We poked the hole in and the engine is tight so I don't bother. We build a device to measure the oil pressure at the plug in the primary cover. It showed 15 -25 psi while reving it up to 4000. Cold engine Motul V Twin.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”