weird sheet metal in sludge trap

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
stian buksa
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

weird sheet metal in sludge trap

Post by stian buksa »

Opened my sludge trap, and it was FULL of black goo
But more weirdly, there was also a piece of sheet metal in there. I have checked around, but have seen no mention of it anywhere

Was it placed there by the wise people at ducati or is it a clever improvement by a hobby engineer ?

Or is it a broken piece of some tool a mechanic from hell used to dig out old goo ?

It looks like the sheet metal divides the oil that enters the crank from the hole that leads the oil to the rods

Stian
Oslo
Norway
stian buksa
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

and what about the oilfeed ?

Post by stian buksa »

Think I found about the sheet metal. Looks like a clever device to help sort out the goo from the oil. A bit more advanced than the english motorcycles I'm used to...
But I am a bit confused by the oil feed through the end of the crankshaft. The hole is quite big the first 2-3 cm into the shaft and then it looks like its blocked.
There is a small hole there though, because if I put some oil in there and let it gravityfeed through, it seeps down into the sludge trap after a few minutes. I guess it will work better with warm oil under pressure...
But I would think the hole should be as big as possible to ease the pressure on the oil pump ?

Does this sound like the normal crankshaft ?

I just want to check that everything is fine before I put the engine back together...

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”