engine plug at crank

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
ducat
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

engine plug at crank

Post by ducat »

By all accounts I appear to have the correct engine plug (part #0400.49.090) that goes in the flywheel/clutch cover. My question is this: even with the correct crush washer installed, how does this NOT cover the essential oil galley that comes from the oil pump and goes to the crank pin? It appears that oil would be blocked from entering the crank. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your input.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

plug

Post by Lumpy »

Not too clued up on round cases but I think from memory on the square cases the oil comes out behind or around the thread and the hole through the thread is just the way the factory manufactures it. Basically the hole you can see in the thread is just a continuation of the drilling and not essential.Something in the musty archives of my memory tells me I had this same fear once but then saw that it`s not an issue. Hope this helps
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Lumpy is correct. The hole in the threaded boss the plug screws into is where the drill starts to bore the hole for the oilway.After going through the boss there is a void area in the bore for the outer bearing. It then goes down through a thick rib in the cover to meet another hole drilled to match the outlet on the crankcase.So the oil goes out the case and up the hole in the rib to the area behind the outer bearing and into the end of the crank.There is a washer that is a close fit to the end of the crank to reduce oil pressure loss through the bearing itself.So the plug has no effect on oil flow but it does confuse people like myself when they first see it and think too hard about it.
ducat
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

engine plug at crank

Post by ducat »

Gentlemen, thank you for your reponses. It makes more sense now. It's not what I expected, but it does make sense and I guess it obviously does work.
Thank you.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”