Valve guide seals

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
philg100
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Valve guide seals

Post by philg100 »

hi I brought a basket case 750 sport and am in the process of rebuilding it. The valve guides look new and have no wear but I cant see how the oil seals are fitted. On my 900 SS there are o rings inside the guide but the 750 guides have no groove for this, I have also seen guides that have a groove on the outside and a seal fits over the top of the guide but the guides in the 750 dont have that either. The top of the guides are chamfered at about 45 deg and if I fit the seal it just clings to the valve stem and comes away from the guide. Did the 750 sport run without an oil seal or have I got some strange guides that will need to be replaced??
philg100
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Sounds like you have some guides that were adapted to fit.If they are in good shape I would go ahead and use them as is.The spring being around them will deflect most of the oil thrown at them by the cam.Replacing the guides will also require the valve seats to be recut and the valve faces ground or the valves replaced.It might burn a bit of oil without seals but if they are in spec as to clearance it shouldn't smoke.
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

[quote].....The spring being around them will deflect most of the oil thrown at them by the cam.....quote]

It has been my experience that the heads fill up with oil after starting. I know that with the engine running an ALARMING amount of oil will flood from an open rocker cover.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”