Engine Pull down

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Engine Pull down

Post by Gum »

Gday, I would like to know what if any special tools it takes to remove the heads and barrels and piston from a 750 round case, engine. Is there a section on this site that explains what is what, also what is involved in cleaning the crank traps and removing the front sprocket. As I will be taking the engine out of the bike for shipping, this I think will be straight forward. The rest, I need some advice, Thanks Gum.
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Gum,
If you go back to the main page and look under the Technical Info section you will find a manual for the 860. It will answer most of what you are requesting. If you remove the square case covers from the 860 the engine itself looks a lot like a 750. Most of what you will find inside of the 860 will be very similar.
You do not need any special tools to get the heads and barrels off. There are some secrets though that will help.
I don't think you can access the crank sludge plugs with the crank in the cases. I think you will have to split the cases and remove the crank to clean out the crank traps.
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Ok

Post by Gum »

So what tools do I need to take the engine out, the heads off, and the pistons. I will get the owner to loosen the pipes to heads, as I have been told this can be an issue. I need to get the engine lighter to ship on my checked baggage. Thanks Gum.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

As above you need no special tools to take the heads and barrels off, other than the exhaust nut spanner. On mine that I bought back in February 08, the exhaust nuts were very tight in the heads, so I needed to warm the head up and then use the correct tool. I still needed to replace both nuts though!

You can get at the sludge trap plugs through the front cylinder opening.

We had to strip my engine completely, even though it had only done 27.000 miles (it had been stood for 15 years). The sludge traps were absolutely full and there was a build up in the crank pin. If we hadn't cleaned it out it would have gone bang.

Chris
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Tar

Post by Gum »

At this stage the owner is pulling it down for me prior to picking it up, Thanks Lyndon
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

at the risk of eldert calling this another bs post-did you buy the thing?
if you did,never sell it-you will regret it
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Buying it. ??????

Post by Gum »

Yes, I have, but I have not paid, nor got the bike. Im not dealing with the easiest person in the world that wants his bike sold. Soon there will be, or at least I hope I nice original 73 Sport getting around Adelaide. It will go well with my H1, my 3 H2's and 10 Z1 Kawasaki's and my BMW HP2, don't you think. Be patient, as it gets here I will post all. Thanks Gum PS, sorry I also have 3 Honda Cubs.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

love to see those kwakas(omg another bs post)i'll pm you and catch up
cheers steve
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Chris,
I hope this does not come off as a thread hijack. Since the sludge plugs came up on this thread I would like to know if you could, in fact, get to and clean out the sludge traps effectively through the front cylinder opening?
You indicated that they are accessable through the front cylinder opening,
but could you really clean them out from there?
This would be good info to know here.
Thanks, Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Some Bikes

Post by Gum »

Sure, when I get my Sport, we will catch up, are you in the Ducati club, as im going to the next meeting. Thanks Gum

Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

What are you planing to remake the film Stone,thats a lot of Z1 you have there.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Yes

Post by Gum »

No I bring in Kawasaki's from the USA and resell in Australia, I also collect them as well. I think more of a disease than anything. I have a total of 22 bikes at the moment. Thanks Gum.
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey Gum,
I'm available to be adopted.
Your son, Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

ive not been a member of docsa since 77
baddean is not correct-i am your son
talk to you soon dad

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”