I need some baisic information

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
William R. Battaglia
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

I need some baisic information

Post by William R. Battaglia »

I am going to try to start a 1973 gt that has been stored for 20 years.
1. what weight oil should i use?
2. What should kicking cylinder pressure be ?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

use whatever you want but make sure it is SG rated. I prefer straight 50 wt. Don;t know kicking compression...... Just lube everything before riding. You will need to rebuild the carbies, lube all cables, rebuild brakes [use only DOT4 fluid] and replace the intake manifold insulators at least.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

I wouldn't use DOT 4 brake fluid in this bike.
The brake system was designed for DOT 3, and although DOT 4 and DOT 3 are compatible, DOT 4 is a totally different product, and is by no way any better in quality.
To raise boiling point etc, DOT 4 is slightly "thicker", has a higher viscosity.
I would stick with DOT 3 brake fluid, to avoid possible problems, just in case....
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

peter you can use whatever you like....... But as a brembo dealer, I must recommend what Brembo is now recommending which is DOT4 in ALL their brake systems, old or new.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

I get it..... ;)
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

William, Welcome to the bevel world. Ducati recommended 50 wt. oil when the bike was built. Many people run 20/50 in their 750's with no problems. The engine holds over four quarts and takes a long while to get the oil up to temp. so for most riding the 20/50 is actually a bit better as it circulates faster when cold. As for cranking pressure about 120psi seems to be what I remember as normal. But! unless the bike was stored properly, after 30yrs of sitting the cylinders will probably have rusted and pitted. Most likely you will have to pull the cylinders and perhaps rebore and replace the pistons. The valves and guides may need attention also.They are great bikes and well worth any effort to get them right.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”