Not Sure

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
aussieduke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Not Sure

Post by aussieduke »

Hi all, I'm only new to the world of Ducati, but when I was offered a 750 Bevel, I couldn't refuse. Now my question is, is it a GT or Sports? The Engine No. is DM750 753799, but I could not locate a number on the frame. However the frame has the narrower rear and the north - south battery carrier. It also has a bracket on the head stem for the headlight bracket to suit the fairing. The gauges are Veglia Borletti, Tacho is mechanical, the carbs are PHF 34A, the fuel tank is fiberglass with the wide clear strip, sports seat, scarab front brakes, fiberglass front mudguard and chrome rear.
I believe it may of started it's life as a GT and recieved a new frame(silver) to make it into a sports bike.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Arthur
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Arthur, can you please post some photos of you bike?
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
aussieduke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by aussieduke »

These are pictures I took of my bike when I first picked it up. Sorry the background is a bit busy and the bike is not much to look at, but it had been sitting in a garage for over 13 years and before that it came from a deceased estate.

If you require better pictures or more close ups just let me know.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Arthur, Looks to me like you have a genuine Sport that someone has gussied up to look like a Super Sport. Too many parts on your bike unique to the Sport than just the frame. Appears to be a '73 model as well. Congrats on the find, you have the makings of a fine Sport restoration project. First thing to do is buy the Ducati books on the 750's by Ian Falloon and read them. Good luck, Jordan
aussieduke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by aussieduke »

Thanks Jordan, I purchased the books and they are full of good info. I'm not sure yet if I'll restore back to original sports or continue on with what the past owner attempted and make it into a super sports replica. Is it a crime to change colours or do I need to stick to the original? I quite like the ocher colour the sports came out in.
Arthur
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Arthur, My vote would be to keep it a Sport. There just aren't that many real ones left to restore. Now if you had a basket Gt that would be a different story. There is a reason why SS go for six figures, which you may want to consider before attempting a replica. Unless, of course, you have unlimited funds and time on your hands to do the job right... Oh how naive was I, when first I gazed upon my Gt. Just a little cafe racer project, have it knocked out in no time, I said to myself. Just going to replace a few bits, and wouldn't it be nice to upgrade to a rear disk brake? Sure it can be done...4 years later, bike is still in parts, still hunting for needed parts. And you like the Sports color, just another reason. My two cents, Jordan
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I may be wrong but the bike looks more like a GT that has been modified to look like a sport. The tabs for the seat mount look a bit cobby and the welding at the footpeg mounts doesn't look factory. The headlight mounting looks like a modified SS bracket. The sports I have seen don't have the dash panel but use rubber cups to mount the clocks. Lastly the top triple clamp looks like a GT item as it has mount bosses for handlebars. But! a roundcase is a desirable piece no matter what it is or was. Fix it up and enjoy!
aussieduke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by aussieduke »

I checked the wiring diagrams, and my bike seems to be similar to the GT. I think without a frame number I will never be totally sure. Even though looking on the list of engine numbers that other people have listed, my number falls directly in the Sports group. After 35 years, God only knows what other owners have changed on the bike.
Arthur
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Arthur, Maybe your bike was put together with spare parts to begin with. Could be you find a frame number when it gets stripped down too. I agree with wdietz on his observations but being a narrow frame def. says Sport to me. If you decide to replace your ignition switch and kickstarter let me know, I will give them a real good home :) Jordan
Splot73
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Splot73 »

Looks like a Sport to me, but I don't understand why it's got pillion foot rests... also the vertical tabs on the rear frame for the seat are not like mine, but mine is a 73, so I don't know...

some pics of mine here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/diego.monte ... a13cRF2_FU

anyway you're going to have some fun!

and if you want to get rid of the headlamp shell, drop me a line! :-))

ciao

diego
aussieduke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by aussieduke »

Sorry Diego, but I need every part I can.
I can see that my frame is slightly different, but I still believe that the frame is an after market product.

You're right, I am enjoying working on it. Arthur.
Arthur
Splot73
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Splot73 »

I wasn't aware that "aftermarket frames" were even available... I think it's an original frame with some extra brackets welded up by a previous owner...

glad you're enjoying it! :-))
Charlie withanS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Charlie withanS »

Hi Arthur,
The original frame number would be stamped on the steering head. Have you looked near the fairing bracket to see if there are any numbers that would be under it? The stampings would have covered more area than the bracket currently cover.
Cheers Charlie
If it ain't broke, Modify it.
1974 750 Sport and a dozen other less intriguing bikes.
www.ffmsd.com
aussieduke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by aussieduke »

I've stripped the whole frame, and no numbers to be found.
There isn't even grind marks where numbers could have been.
Arthur
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

A mate in Sydney got a new frame donkeys years ago,they come without numbers,you stamp your own and get it inspected by the Scientific coppers,his case at Chatswood,so its probably a replacement frame.

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”