Hi Revs/low speeds

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Rick F
Mach 3

Hi Revs/low speeds

Post by Rick F »

I have probably got to sit down & count them to see what size sprockets I have on my 750 GT, but I do presume them to be standard. I replaced them some time ago and remember selecting the standard items.

I currently sit on about 4000 rpm @ around 100 kph (60mph)

That seems a little high & suppose I have gotten used to more modern machines that idle at these speeds. Even my old Ford sits around 1500/1800 rpm @ the 100kph mark

the revs @ 4000 rpm seem a little high for cruising & I tend to slow a little so the engine is not working so hard......can I remedy this by changing the sprockets, without affecting low down grunt too much

I seem to remember stuffing around with sprockets on other bikes trying to achieve higher top speeds, but reverting to the manufacturers spec because the "all round" performance is better

I also needed to make this post to get the numbers up to progress through the models

Thanks
Rick
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I appreciate you are talking about a GT 750, but I suspect the same applies.

From the Darmah manual "Instructions for Use and Maintenance", page 20, in fifth gear 25.o2 km per 1000 rpm with standard factory sprockets. They go on to say "In the 900 SD motorcycle we advise to fit, specially for highway use, a smaller sprocket than the standard assemebled, allowing the same speed at lower r.p.m."

Kev
Rick F
Mach 3

Post by Rick F »

Hi Kev,

thats pretty spot on isn't it. 25k's per 1000 rpm. 100k's @ 4000 rpm

it has got sport pistons, bigger valves & 36mm Dellortos kindly supplied by Steve, so perhaps it can cope with a smaller sprocket at the front.

problem is, I will just ride it faster!

Rick
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hi Rick,

In Western Australia our open highway limits are 110kph, which puts me about 4300 - 4400 rpm depending on tyre wear. My bikes are Darmahs and I've never even ridden a GT, so take all this with a dose of salt:

I quite like the rev levels I have to ride at. My bikes seem to have a sweet spot around the cruising spped that allows me to use just throttle for an easy overtaking and still drop back a gear for a "before the next corner" overtake without any issue. I regulary take my Darmahs to 5000+ before a change, and they seem to like it. I have been told that the worst thing you can do is to demand power at too low revs on a bevel (crank strain).

My advice, "let them rev", that's what they've been designed to! As far as riding faster if you change the sprocket...well tell that to next plod that pulls you over!!

Kev
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Hi Rick - this is an old discussion but I will add that the standard sprockets for a 750 GT are 16 front and 36 rear for the benefit of others browsing this thread.

You need a smaller rear sprocket to reduce engine revs. I fitted a 34T rear (with the 16 front) to my 750 GT for touring and it works well.

The simple way to estimate the change in engine speed is to think of the ratio between the 2 rear sprocket sizes. For example, if you went from a 36 tooth sprocket to a 34 tooth sprocket, then instead of the the engine doing 3,600 rpm at a given speed it will now run at 3,400 rpm at that speed.

Another way to determine the change in engine speed from, say, 4,000 rpm when going from a 36 to a 34 tooth sprocket is as follows:

34/36 * 4000 rpm = 3,778 rpm.

Cheers,
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”