50th Birthday Ducati - Call out to Euro Bevelheads

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
rightsideup
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

50th Birthday Ducati - Call out to Euro Bevelheads

Post by rightsideup »

I couldn't find anywhere else in the forums to put this so...

Next year my Ducati will be 50 years old...

It's been with me for 40 of those years and I'm planning to ride it back to the factory to mark the occasion.
I live in Devon, on the South coast of the Disunited Kingdom so the Plymouth Ferry to Spain is close by. The route will be a bit like this.

My son, Jamie, will be tagging along on his Ducati Monsterous(!) - his first trip abroad on a bike.
My main concern is oil, As you all know, a bevel drive 750 likes a monograde and, since there's no real filter, it has to be changed every 1k (and a bit) miles - that's 5 litres each time and 2 changes.

Can anybody advise how difficult it is to source SAE50 monograde in Europe? If any Euro Bevelheads were willing to help me in this enterprise and live somewhere near the route, perhaps I could order some and have it delivered to your address???
Buying it online here is no problem but you never see it in a garage.
'74 Ducati 750GT | '78 MZ TS250/1 | '97 Honda VFR750
In the high latitudes of Finland, in the parching heat of Africa, under the most different operating conditions these motor-cycles run to the satisfaction of their owners.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 50th Birthday Ducati - Call out to Euro Bevelheads

Post by Craig in France »

If you feel you really MUST use a straight 50 weight oil (and even if you don't ... :) )

Contact Peter Clark at Ducati Montpellier. Peter is the chef d'atelier there. He's a Kiwi, so speaks a form of English ... ;) He also knows a thing or two about our old lumps (he used to work at Motoddd Laverda in Croydon), a rare thing in today's Ducati world. There's even a few beveldrives on display amongst all the modern, eye-wateringly expensive bling.

Peter's on Facebook. Ask if you can get the oil delivered there. I can recommend you buy it from Racing Lubes in Aix-en-Provence. I get all my oils there, as do many others. If you need, I can order it for you.

https://www.racinglubes.fr/29-huile-mot ... %A9-SAE+50

HTH

Craig in Montpellier

P.s. Let me know if you need any help with route planning. What I see from your projected route seems to involve a lot of boring motorway or main road work thru the south of France. And be warned that the coast road into Italy is an absolute misery. All that is avoidable. But I accept that there's miles to be covered, and your time may be limited.

(But really? Straight 50 in 2023?).
rightsideup
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rightsideup »

Craig in France wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:15 am If you feel you really MUST use a straight 50 weight oil (and even if you don't ... :) )

Contact Peter Clark at Ducati Montpellier. Peter is the chef d'atelier there. He's a Kiwi, so speaks a form of English ... ;) He also knows a thing or two about our old lumps (he used to work at Motoddd Laverda in Croydon), a rare thing in today's Ducati world. There's even a few beveldrives on display amongst all the modern, eye-wateringly expensive bling.

Peter's on Facebook. Ask if you can get the oil delivered there. I can recommend you buy it from Racing Lubes in Aix-en-Provence. I get all my oils there, as do many others. If you need, I can order it for you.

https://www.racinglubes.fr/29-huile-mot ... %A9-SAE+50

HTH

Craig in Montpellier

P.s. Let me know if you need any help with route planning. What I see from your projected route seems to involve a lot of boring motorway or main road work thru the south of France. And be warned that the coast road into Italy is an absolute misery. All that is avoidable. But I accept that there's miles to be covered, and your time may be limited.

(But really? Straight 50 in 2023?).
Thanks for the info Craig - why not a straight 50?
p.s. 'form of English' was very good!
p.p.s. Route advice nearer the time would be excellent - thanks
'74 Ducati 750GT | '78 MZ TS250/1 | '97 Honda VFR750
In the high latitudes of Finland, in the parching heat of Africa, under the most different operating conditions these motor-cycles run to the satisfaction of their owners.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

rightsideup wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:11 am <snip>
Thanks for the info Craig - why not a straight 50?
No worries. "Why not a straight 50", you ask.

Well, I was teasing you a bit; but more seriously, it's just that oil technology has move on so much since the 1970s. And remember: as early as March 1976, Ducati themselves recommended a synthetic 10-50 :shock:
860 GTS supplement March 1976 4 rdcd.jpg
And if you use a modern synthetic 10-50, you won't need to do an oil change during your trip. Synthetics have a much longer life than any mineral oil.

Your only possible problem is that changing might give rise to an initial amount of clutch slip. The solution is simple. Pull the clutch, wash all the plates in paraffin, roughen up the friction plates if required and refit.

But if you're happy with Dino Juice, don't let me argue you out of it :)

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”