‘74 750 GT Restoration in Seattle

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
Counterbalance
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

‘74 750 GT Restoration in Seattle

Post by Counterbalance »

Hello,

I just acquired a partially restored 1974 750 GT. Many parts came in a box and I don’t believe it has run since 1999. 17K miles on eng.no.754314. This is a solid rotor US model built 2/74 with a black plate metal headlight mount and PHF 30 Carbs. However it has euro-style license plate mount, taillight assembly, handlebar, and indicators.

Over the next weeks I will be finishing out the restoration and I thank you all in advance for your help as/if it is needed. This is beautiful bike and my first Ducati so I am savoring every moment!

More to come!

Peter
IMG_3438.jpeg
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: ‘74 750 GT Restoration in Seattle

Post by BevHevSteve »

Welcome aboard. Nice round case.... nice hauler too.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Just out of curiosity, was it in Seattle when you found it?

George
Vancouver
'73 750 GT

Counterbalance
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Counterbalance »

Hi Steve & George,

Yes, this was a private sale in Seattle. The bike was originally delivered in California and I believe I’m the 3rd owner.

I have been mostly inspecting and assessing the condition of the bike and collecting manuals, needed tools and some obvious parts.

Right now I’m thinking about the wiring and whether or not a new wiring harness will affect the collectibility of this bike. Much of the bike is in original condition without having been touched by tools or bozos. It’s nice I think to keep a bike in ‘as found’ condition when possible but I want it rideable and safe too!

I’ll be digging deeper soon.

Peter
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Peter, if you plan on actually riding the thing (hopefully) then absolutely do replace the harness so you don't end up stranded somewhere.

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Electrica ... S-to-1976/
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Amen to renewing or even improving the original electrics. An ST2 Stator / rotor and MOSFET regulator / rectifier is a good thing and ditching the points for a Dyna 'S' is as well. I don't know anything about the later handlebar switches, but if they're original 40+ YO, safe to say they would certainly warrant careful examination / clean / lube. Sure is easy on one of these projects to get into the old "well, while I'm this far into it, may as well look into ________________ ".

Counterbalance
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Counterbalance »

Thanks for the advice - I was cleaning and testing connections around the fuse box this weekend and so far so good. The wiring around the battery and ignition switch are worse for age/wear. I haven’t opened up the headlamp or instrument panel yet and the handlebar switches are hanging at the moment - those are next.

I guess my biggest concern is whether theses ‘updates’ will affect the collectibility as this bike is in very nice shape. And yes, I am definitely going to ride it!

Incidentally, in the box is a Dyna coil set and an electronic points plate.

George, did you think you know this bike?
Attachments
91AB1A36-9726-4357-A642-91F2CA034F69.jpeg
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Can't say as that I did know it, though the only Bevel guys I actually know are up here in BC, mostly Square Case SS's of one sort or another. Though there are 203 other GT's I know of in the area, mine seems to be the only one that gets ridden much. Actually just got back from a little scoot to my favorite espresso panattoni place on it. Had it down for a day in the Mt Baker foothills a couple weeks ago. It's a sweetheart, though a seriously long road to get it there.

As an aside, this Father's Day the 17th is the big "Italian Days" caper in N Vancouver - anything with wheels from Italy. It's been going on for years and draws out all manner of interesting bikes - lots of Italian tiddlers, Morinis, Guzzis, Mondials as well as somewhat more usual stuff like 916's, etc. and that's not to mention some Zagato Alfas and others of the rare and fabulous. They also added a French section if you like DS19's etc. Head up here for that if you can, you'll be dazzled. PM me for directions / contact info.

Counterbalance wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:26 pm Thanks for the advice - I was cleaning and testing connections around the fuse box this weekend and so far so good. The wiring around the battery and ignition switch are worse for age/wear. I haven’t opened up the headlamp or instrument panel yet and the handlebar switches are hanging at the moment - those are next.

I guess my biggest concern is whether theses ‘updates’ will affect the collectibility as this bike is in very nice shape. And yes, I am definitely going to ride it!

Incidentally, in the box is a Dyna coil set and an electronic points plate.

George, did you think you know this bike?
Counterbalance
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Counterbalance »

As an aside, this Father's Day the 17th is the big "Italian Days" caper in N Vancouver - anything with wheels from Italy. It's been going on for years and draws out all manner of interesting bikes - lots of Italian tiddlers, Morinis, Guzzis, Mondials as well as somewhat more usual stuff like 916's, etc. and that's not to mention some Zagato Alfas and others of the rare and fabulous. They also added a French section if you like DS19's etc. Head up here for that if you can, you'll be dazzled. PM me for directions / contact info.
That sounds amazing but I won’t be able to make it this year - First, I would want to have a running Ducati to share and that seems optimistic, and second, I let my passport expire and the Mounties won’t let me in!

I’ve poked around the southern side of Baker but have not yet gotten to the northerlies. I have this great book called “Destination Highways” that covers all the lovely twisties to explore - it’s on the list!

Thanks again for the welcome and invitation.

Peter
107D73B1-40EE-4FDE-8A16-41E1E54C21C4.jpeg

Return to “Introduce Yourself”