Hello from New Mexico, 1973 750GT

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
Tombo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Hello from New Mexico, 1973 750GT

Post by Tombo »

Hi Folks, My name is Tom and I am in Corrales, New Mexico. I have a 900SS SP that I bought new, and recently got a 750GT that I believe to be late 1973. It has a steel tank, Dellortos, a leading axle fork, Contis, and had Scarab brakes, which have been replaced with Brembo except for the Scarab junction on the lower triple clamp. The bike was parked in 1992 due to popping out of gear. I have installed new tires, electronic ignition, adjusted the valves, and rebuilt the carbs; it is running pretty well. I have been working on the selector box, and the popping out of gear is much reduced. I hope a bit more adjustment of the eccentric will set things right. there was a fair amount of slop between the shifter shaft (200) and the pawl plate (120), so I reamed the holes a bit and made a new pin (170) out of drill rod, and hardened/ annealed it. I have also repaired the center stand, which had the toe tab broken off about an inch from the left leg.
Once the shifting is sorted, I will send the tinwork out to be painted, and will sandblast and powder coat the frame, swingarm, and stands. I have searched for a red paint code with no success. Can anyone get me close? I will post this request in the paint & body section as well. I have both Faloon books, but he only offers the yellow/ orange/bronze codes. I also need one strip of aluminum seat trim.I'm sure the Borrani rims will polish up, but I don't hold much hope for the spokes, so they will probably be replaced with stainless.
For you researchers out there, my engine number is 75348x.
Thanks,
Tom
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Hello from New Mexico, 1973 750GT

Post by BevHevSteve »

welcome aboard
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
geodoc
750 GT

Re: Hello from New Mexico, 1973 750GT

Post by geodoc »

Heh Tom,

These trim strips were missing on my '73 750 GT. Actually, the whole seat was missing. The pan and cover were easy to get, but I scoured the planet looking for the trim stips, but without success. There was some kind of rumor that there was a VW Beetle trim piece that was perfect, but I couldn't find it. I finally ended up settling for aluminum trim strips for a Laverda from Wolfgang in Nakusp BC ( http://www.laverda.ca/ ), they're about 2" short of the correct length, but what the hell. He also has the little 'T' bolts to affix them.

What I might do if it ends up bugging me, is buy 2 more of the same and cut them so the cut butt ends are hidden under the seat strap so they would extend to the correct length. For the moment, it doesn't bug me that much.

You can see the saga of resurrecting mine from basket case status here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4543

George
Vancouver BC
Tombo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:04 am I also need one strip of aluminum seat trim.I'm sure the Borrani rims will polish up, but I don't hold much hope for the spokes, so they will probably be replaced with stainless.
For you researchers out there, my engine number is 75348x.
Thanks,
Tom

Return to “Introduce Yourself”