Fellow Ducatisti

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
dblclhtimmy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Fellow Ducatisti

Post by dblclhtimmy »

Well after 50 years it's time to finish restoring my 1963 Ducati Diana Mk3 back to original street specs. I bought it new here in southern California while in high school, it came with the separate megaphone exhaust and white "fly screen" number plate and I raced it in AFM & ACA at Willow Springs, got my parts from Frank Scurria at ZDS in Glendale (where else would you go?), stored it while in Vietnam, road it as main transportation when I got out in '68, traded it in '70 for some Formula Ford parts, tracked it down and recovered it mostly intact in 1986, restored (not assembled) 90% following 2 years, stopped when I latched onto a 1970 Olds 442 convertible, finished a body off resto of the Olds in 2 years (still have it), wrapped all the finished Diana pieces incl frame for storage and took on a career to which I just retired from. Motor was restored in Dublin, CA in 1987 by some guys I met at Riverside Raceway with a company called British (?) something or other and is still gleaming in the crate. They did have a trio of nicely prepared Duc 250's for the lightweight class. Somewhere around '89 while at Laguna Seca for the bike races I overheard some guy saying his brother wants to unload his '65 Mach 1, and boxes of Duc parts, Dellorto's and frames and motors........in Lincoln, Nebraska. Does anyone here remember the days before the internet? The Diana and Olds were all done by phone and mail to all parts of the globe. I got a part last month in 5 days from the Netherlands. In 1989 it would take me 5 days to get the phone number right to then get a wrong address. Anyway, no problem, hop in the van and bonsai to Lincoln. Glad I did. So now it's like Christmas because I'm unwrapping all these parts that I barely remember doing or had done or bought. So cool you are all out there and I thank Steve for rounding you up. I'm a racer not a wrench so no doubt I'll be on my knees before you. Time to assemble...........

Tim
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Fellow Ducatisti

Post by BevHevSteve »

awesome........ have fun
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Rickytic
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rickytic »

Welcome to the forum Tim,
If you have any experience with 1966 Ducati motocross scrambler, single bevel head 250 Marzocchi front forks, please, let's talk. I am restoring this bike and cannot figure out the reason for, or the what keeps the balls in place at the bottom of the slider. I too live in Southern California. San Diego area.

Rickytic
dblclhtimmy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by dblclhtimmy »

I do have a 63 Duc Scrambler. Very rough roller I got in a yard sale that needs parts. 63 Diana Mk3 is priority and presently assembling wheels and brakes. Forks next. Your probably ahead of me with the front forks. I did see a thread somewhere regarding balls floating around in the bottom of forks. Keep me informed and thanks for contacting.

Tim
Rickytic
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rickytic »

Tim, I did find the answer to my questions about the front forks, not from the forum but from an individual I was referred to from a parts vendor. Here is what I found;

It appears that there is nothing that holds the little ball bearings in place and there is no function, bad design!!! Cannot verify.

After packing them with grease and putting everything back together, eventually they will again fall out and be of no use, there appears to be no use for them even when they are in place. Bad Design!!! Cannot verify.

Don't fret, leave the balls out, fill with heavy duty shock oil. If you are going to run the crap out of the bike in the dirt or for racing, might try to find progressive springs. If you are going to ride mostly on the road or for show, just leave the balls out and again, put heavy duty fork oil in and enjoy.

This info came from a well known tech that has been working on these oldies for a long time, I understand he is somewhat of a Guru on the subject. He told me the design made no sense what so ever. All the 31.5 Marzocchi forks of this design that he has taken apart has had the same problem. I am taking him at his word. When the bike gets back on the road, I will again address this issue and let you know the performance, any problems, etc. Might be some time before my bike gets back on the road.

Rickytic
dblclhtimmy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by dblclhtimmy »

Rickytic, I appreciate the update. Yeah, I know about time. It's not like someone is paying us to work on this stuff so will get it done faster but when it is done, oh so rewarding. I recently bought a used (what else!) front fork assembly for the scrambler. The forks presently on the bike are not original. The previous owner of long ago has the front brake plate, the one with the actuating arm where the cable pull attaches on the 'right' side of the bike with a rather tidy brace from the fork leg to the hub! I will need to find someone to restore my new (old) forks, so if you know anyone......My plate is full with the '63 Diana MkIII. Also need to find a seat and some other items.

Keep me posted on your project.
Tim
Rickytic
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rickytic »

Tim, I have completely found out my issue with these forks and have found why and where the bearings go. If your forks are the original 31.5 Marzocchi forks, I can help you out on the rebuild. It's relatively simple once you know how and where the bearings go. If you need my help, get new fork seals, 8mm fork screw washers, 6mm drain screw washers (both sets are copper crush washers), drain the forks and bring down to me, plan on spending part of a day and we can work on them together. If you would rather, and want to do them yourself, just call me and I can run you through the procedure, your choice.

Rickytic
dblclhtimmy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by dblclhtimmy »

Rickytic, Thank you and sorry for late response. It would be better and much quicker for me to correspond by email. My email [email protected] I would like to come down to do the forks as I would learn more and watching is probably quicker and more accurate for me! Very kind of you to offer to help.....I'm jazzed. Don't have any info for you other than this blog. I will work any schedule around yours of course.
Thank you
Tim
951-218-7734

Return to “Introduce Yourself”