Hello from SoCal

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
Phil Ranucci
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Hello from SoCal

Post by Phil Ranucci »

Getting ready to revive my '78 black/gold Darmah. It's been parked for about 15 years. Lots to replace and clean up before it moves again. I figured I'd join to get some tips and advice to do this right. I've spent some time searching the forums and have gotten a few ideas about how to proceed. I'll be asking lots of questions during the process. Not sure if this is the place to lay out a plan, but here goes.
The plan for the summer:
Remove and clean tank. I coated it with KREEM ~20 years ago and the coating is peeling off the tank. I've searched the forum here and POR15 seems to get the nod for coating the tank. How hard is it do do a good job? Do you still toss in hardware to scape off rust?
New tires. Still has Dunlop K181 on the Campy rims. What's the current favorite for the Darmah?
Carbs cleaned and rebuilt. I still have a Eurosports catalog, and was wondering if switching to dual throttle cables was still a good idea?
Brakes flushed and checked. The calipers and M/C were rebuilt years ago, they might be due for another go round.
Engine. What's the best way to kick over an engine that's been sitting? I was going to pull the plugs out and slowly roll the bike around, but should I squirt oil into the cylinders
first? Eventually I'd like to get rid of the electric starter, still have a kickstart cover from years ago, but until it's actually running I'll take the assist. It's been so long, is Yuasa still
the battery or are there better ones? The bike ran fine when parked, and started easily, electric or kick.
Thanks in advance. I remember seeing the Darmah on the cover of Cycle and thinking, "Now that's a motorcycle!". Started on a KZ550 and got a Paso as my first Italian bike. Saw the Darmah with a for sale sign and soon had 2 Italians in the garage. Paso is long gone, but the Darmah ,even if I haven't been riding, was a keeper.
Thanks,
Phil Ranucci
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Hello from SoCal

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Phil welcome aboard.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”