crunchy clutch

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
ordinaryguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

crunchy clutch

Post by ordinaryguy »

Greetings, I'm Steve. I have a 1995 Ducati 900ss. It has fairly low miles with a few body panel flaws but the present problem is a crunchy clutch lever. it's like I'm breaking walnuts when I squeze the lever. Will a rebuild kit fix the problem? Clutch seems to operates normally. Before this Ducati I have owned only cable operated clutch levers till now. This is a new animal to me.
Thanks for the help,
Steve
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: crunchy clutch

Post by BevHevSteve »

take the lever off - clean , inspect and lube. Does it still crunch if you press the piston in? Reinstall the lever and see if it still crunches... it shouldn't. It should be quiet and smooth. IF you have a black REC type [rectangular reservoir] master cylinder, and 2 of the brembo 4 piston calipers up front then it is 16mm and there is no rebuild kit, you get to buy a new master cylinder. If there is only 1 caliper up front then the master cylinder will be 13mm REC type and we do have a kit for you, as well as a new master cylinder.......
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
ordinaryguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ordinaryguy »

Bev Head Steve,
I guess I need to order a rebuild kit as well as the installation tool It. I did take apart the old one. There was some rubber debris in the bottom of the cylinder. My inch calipers measured very to 1/2 inch, so it must me 13mm. Thanks for your help. Please direct me to the ordering sight.
Thanks again,
Ordinary guy Steve
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

https://store.bevelheaven.com thn choose BRAKE RELATED then choose MASTER CYLINDER PARTS. There is only 1 of the 13mm kits available and that is it assuming you have a HOLLOW lever pivot bolt then that is the right kit to use.
ordinaryguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ordinaryguy »

Well I got the rebuild kit with the install tool. The kit does not include a cir clip like in the instructions Just a wire ring that looks like it get's hammered in with the tool. What direction does the lock ring go? Taper away from the tool or taper towards the tool?
Thanks,
Ordinaryguy
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

yes the Brembo instructions for everything they make, are crap at best and typically do not relate directy to what you are trying to do. Correct, you use the install tool to press that ring into the larger bore, I put the larger part of the ring towards the tool. What is most important is to lube up all the rubber in the kit first.... then put everything together. Sink that ring in all the way as well. I stand the master cylinder up on the workbench and hold the tool and mc in one hand, compress the spring, hold tool then start hitting with a small hammer. You will notice each hit will give you a distinct DUNK sound, then once it is seated that sound will change to a deeper THUD sound. STOP you are done.
ordinaryguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ordinaryguy »

That "sounds" familiar. Maybe I can still get a ride in this weekend. Yeah, the instructions made sense, they just were'nt quite "American" enough.
Thanks a million, again.
Steve "Ordinary guy"

Return to “Introduce Yourself”