Hailwood owner in Frankfurt Germany

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
crankcase
Mariana

Hailwood owner in Frankfurt Germany

Post by crankcase »

Hi
I bought my Hailwood as a student about 25 years ago, against all better judgement I went to college on a Hailwood, but it did it's job. Now it's only used occassionally when I need a fix but is however always road legal and ready to ride. 66,000km on the clock and mostly original- even the shocks and hand grips which are quite polished now.
I particularly wanted to have an earlier version with goldline calipers, red mudguards and no side panels but also wanted it late enough for the split fairing- bikes around the end of 1980 and beginning of 1981 had that combination and I was lucky enough to find one.
I run it on straight 50 or 40 depending on the ambient temperature, do all my own maintenance now, which is pretty much just oil/filter changes, balance the carbs a couple of times a season and check the shims every couple of years. I replaced the pistons and crankpin a few years ago.

After I could afford to get the Duchess some company in the barn, I ride her even less of course which makes it even more special- other bikes (in my signature) belonging to me and my wife.
Most recent addition is the 851 tricolore which is a bike I never had any interst in; until after seeing a couple for sale recently, decided that could be the right sort of bike for me. Indeed it has a lot of the special handbuilt feeling of earlier Ducatis that I don't see on the newer models, maybe Desmoseidieci excepted?

Funny thing is, now that the Hailwood is not my only 'nice' bike I tend to ride her a lot harder than when I had to worry about the repair costs more. It just gets more fun :-D

enough waffling, here's a pic

after getting back from the Nurburgring last August, a bit of oil working it's way out of the rear head joint, which is actually the last time I rode her, I've got a plan to get her out again in a week or 2.
DB2 behind in disgrace for blowing the clutch slave cylinder oil seal the day before :P
You don't suppose I've got a thing about red white and green do you?

all the best
Ian
1981 Ducati Hailwood Replica, 1988 Ducati 851 tricolore, 1995 Bimota DB2 tricolore, 1988 Bimota YB4 i.e. 1968 Gitan Grillo sport, Yamaha GTS1000, Honda Deauville, Honda GB500 Clubman
Classic Superbike Tours
http://thecrankcase.com/
radecal
Parallel Twin

Re: Hailwood owner in Frankfurt Germany

Post by radecal »

Nah!
I have an MHR Mille, 600 Pantah and 750F1 in the Castrol colours plus a custom set of red/white/green ready to go on a Darmah.
Can't enough of that colour combination!!!
Regards,
RAD
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Hailwood owner in Frankfurt Germany

Post by BevHevSteve »

Welcome aboard Ian
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”