Hello from Michigan

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
tomb7949
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Hello from Michigan

Post by tomb7949 »

Hello all. I own a 73 GT that I have been restoring from the ground up for the last ten years. Just about done now.

I have been working in different states since 2006 just getting home once a month for a few of days each visit. Hard to find free time to work on the Ducati. Well those days are over. I am currently working in Texas near Fort Worth and I will be transporting the duc to work on nights and weekends when I am not in Michigan. Looking forward to getting it running.

One problem that I have had is the poor fiber glass fuel tank. I finally gave up trying to save it or finding a replacement made from steel so I made a plug out of the original tank, made a splash mold, and laid up a carbon fiber/epoxy composite upper and lower. I bonded the two together and sealed the inside with POR 15 fuel tank sealant. It looks pretty close to correct. I hope that it works out OK.

I have replaced the spokes and nipples with stainless. I also had a rear wheel that was chromed steel and a front that was aluminum. I couldn't find a ducati rear wheel so I adapted a Moto Guzzi Borani that look identical to the one that should have been on my bike.

I have mounted delorto 30 mm carbs after having them rebuilt. The orginal Amals were way past worn out. I like the delortos better any way.

I have had the old seat recovered. The previous owner had butchered it by making a king and queen seat. He also welded brackets to the bide so that he could tow a trailer. egads!! The non-standard bits were removed and the frame has been repainted.

I have a rolling chassis now with just a few minor things to do to get it running. Hopefully, the electrical will not give me too much trouble.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Hello from Michigan

Post by BevHevSteve »

welcome aboard
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”