900 gts cafe project

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
gearguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

900 gts cafe project

Post by gearguy »

Hi, I'm gearguy, i own a machine shop that specailizes in making gears, sprockets, and splines. I own a 1978 900 gts that i am in the process of making into a cafe racer. I know it's not a desmo but its still pretty cool. My first ducati was a 350 widecase srambler which i owned while home ported in Naples, Italy with the Navy. I was there in 1975 and 1976. i rode that bike all over Italy and never had a signifacant service issue. My next ducati was a 1980 supersport darmah. That bike was the very best motorcycle I ever owned and truly regret selling it after 11 years ownership after having financial crisis. next came the 500gl twin, the less said about that the better. I was doing a lot of dirt riding in the late 70s so i puchased a used 450rt desmo. the worst injury I ever had on motorcyle occured when kicking the rt to life. it was every bit as bad as starting a bsa 441 victor. weighing 120 lbs sooking wet i should have shyed away fron big singles at the time. over the years I have squandered the best part of my income on motorcles, having owned 61. I especailly like italian bikes. my freinds think i,m a weird Harold. Right now I own the 900gts,a motoguzzi 1100 breva, and a yamaha rz350l ( its a wonderfully perverse little machine that would challenge a gp rider).
which brings me here. the 900 gts that i have is a factory parts bin special. it is a kick start only motor (i can hear now, ALL GTS ARE ELECTRIC START). Well, acording to Ian Fallon in very late 1977 a hand full of gts,s were made using left over gt motors. I puchaced mine from the origanal owner and saw that it was priced new at $2690. Ian Falloon said that these gts,s with gt motors were sold at bargain prices, you bet! My problem is I am electricly ignorant and would pay real money for an electric skematic that just runs and turns off the motor and charges the battery. i will not be using an ignition swtch, just a handlebar switch. the bike has ducati electronica ingnition.(hard to believe they started out making radios!) I have a factory service manual with several scematics that do bear some but not all resemblence to the harness.(What is an engine stop relay?)
if anybody could help me I would appreciate it greatly. oh! , i will have a lot of stock gts parts for sale or trade . I will list just a few below. my phone is 330 418 4342 e-mail is [email protected]
chow!

1978 gts gas tank good condition with new tank badges extra
" seat no rips no tears
" spedo (recently rebuilt by Nosinger)
" tack
" instrument panel
" front and back fenders
" air boxes with rubber boots
1980 ducati darmah SS owners manual
1973 (i think) RT 450 desmo owners manual

Return to “Introduce Yourself”