Howdy from Chicago (or close by anyway)

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
universal600
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Howdy from Chicago (or close by anyway)

Post by universal600 »

Hello and thanks for letting me join this forum. Normaly I would introduce the bikes first but this gets even more confusing so selfish me a little bit about myself. Rudy is the name and my mom told me that I barley made it to my first birthday, the cause was strangulation or my mom just trying to hang on to something as she sat in the sidecar and my dad had to show here and me (a few month old) that sidecars do have 3 wheels but you really do not need them up with the sidecar wheel. Since them my mom has not been in a sidecar, but she did make the license and rides on herself (back in the late 60's a sidecar license was required in Switzerland). This of course brings me to where I was born and raised, in the alps of Switzerland, my neighbors name was Heidi.... hmm coincident??? Anyway Dad was the ultimate gear head. He was so good that I am not, every time I wanted to do something he get mad, start cussing and tell me to give hime the part he will do it. My job was holding the light and this job does really stink. At home there were always motorcycles that run and a lot more that did not. In 1978 we even had a Japanese bike in the garage :) Dad used to ride and race a few brits, Dirt bike and trial. As it is mandatory to join the army in Switzerland dad was a motorcycle rider and had a very nice collection of them (sorry that was before the motors were Ducatis). As kids dad never read us any stories, but if we were good he would tell us about Omobono Tenni, Ken Kavanagh and Bill Lomas among others that he seen race and the sound these bikes made. In the late 60's the brits were dying and the swiss bikes already died, so it was to the other nation he had quite a few bikes of, Italy. A bunch of Guzzi's, and there were Malaguti, Morini, Fantic Ducatis and Benelli's. That is when I fell in love, one night he came home and had a 250 Desmo with him, this was for my mom (we only had one car so mom used sidecars and motorcycles to run errands) Good thing was that mom with 4 kids was busy and I could go and fill it up a few miles down the road. When you are 12 years old this is a very cool reward. When I was old enough I got my license and been riding leagally since 1983. Had Zundap (my first) and then in 1986 after finishing my education got a chance to work in Montreal Canada for 1 Year. Liked it so much that I stayed and in 1991 moved to Hawkesburry,Ontario. In 1994 my old company from Switzerland called and said they have a job for me in New York. Back up the bags and moved to Westchester county N.Y this was to croweded for me so New Jersey was next. Untill 2003 When I moved for work to the Chicago area and I want to stay now, (have a 10 year old son and he wants to stay with his friends).

Three years ago now my dad passed away and I did want some of the motorcycles. This past summer I finaly got them here. One is almost the same Ducati my mom had back then. When my dad was alive and my son visiting them he told him that this will be someday his bike. Very anoying that he can remember this beeing said :) Here is a pic:
It had no muffler also the tail light is missing andit had been modified for a passenger. The seat is off and I try to put a bump seat on.

This is one of the bikes my dad built it is a Universal (that is where I got the glorius idea about the screen name)
Got some 2 strokers
And this one to hopefully save on the fuel costs (I drive an expedition:( )
Again thanks for letting me join and I will come with questions, but hopefully now you have an idea who I am, take care and keep the handlebars higher than the pegs :)
Rudy
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Welcome!
Great story, great bikes...!!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

welcome aboard!
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm