barn fresh 69 350 SSS

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
Maico 75
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

barn fresh 69 350 SSS

Post by Maico 75 »

Just picked up a barn fresh 350 SSS. It is complete minus front fender and air filter. The motor is stuck. I do not have previous experience with the Ducati Singles. What is the best manual? I will have to remove the head to try to break loose the piston. Can this be done with the motor in the frame? What are some good Ducati shops in Northern Ca that could supply parts, etc? Only Ducati experience I have is with a 77 500 GTL from back in the day. Thanks -Preston
Kuki
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Stuck piston

Post by Kuki »

Congrats to this jewel!
This might help, but be careful !
http://www.antique-engine.ns.ca/

Regards from Duesseldorf, Germany

Kuki
Maico 75
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Maico 75 »

Thanks for the info Kuki. My next step is to remove the head but I am waiting for a manual, I don't know how this bevel drive system comes apart yet.
I wonder if I could use the electrolosis method to loosen the stuck piston by pouring an electrolite into the bore (from what I can see throught the sparkplug hole the piston is near bottom of stroke), attaching the negative to the cylinder and suspending a positive electrode in the electrolite.
GT Pete
Diana

Post by GT Pete »

I don't think I would use that method on the piston. Most of the electrolytes described are alkaline which could cause a lot of damage to the aluminum piston. Check out Tom Bailey's book ( available from Steve's store ) for info on freeing stuck pistons.

Pete
Red N' Blu
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Red N' Blu »

Maico 75 wrote:Thanks for the info Kuki. My next step is to remove the head but I am waiting for a manual, I don't know how this bevel drive system comes apart yet.
I wonder if I could use the electrolosis method to loosen the stuck piston by pouring an electrolite into the bore (from what I can see throught the sparkplug hole the piston is near bottom of stroke), attaching the negative to the cylinder and suspending a positive electrode in the electrolite.
I know a couple of people with 350's that had poured Diesel fuel down the spark plug hole and let it soak in there for a few days. Both of the guys that i know that have used this method had luck, but only one succeeded with the piston removal because he made sure the pistion would not flop down on the connecting rod and cracked the skirt of the piston!!

Good Luck! any pic's of the barn find??
Maico 75
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Maico 75 »

I ordered some Kroil, it has Liquid Wrench and Marvel Mistery oil soaking in right now. Not sure if I'm going to have time to pull the head this weekend.
It seems as though it is not easy to post a picture on this forum. I sent Steve a picture via email, he may put it on the Bevelheaven website in the barn find pictures section.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”