1974 750GT Down Under

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1974 750GT Down Under

Post by Norvilbob »

Greetings all,

I have a feeling I might have joined the Forum and posted questions a few years back when I first bought my '74 750 GT?......if not, here I go again (and my apologies for any repetition).

I bought the bike from a guy in Wisconsin, as a fully restored machine (sight unseen, given that I'm in South Australia).....if only the sales pitch and photos matched my expectations! Several years later my re-restoration from absolute scratch is almost complete: bike repainted to my standard (no powder coating used - yuk), engine, gearbox, wheels, forks etc etc fully rebuilt, now onto the wiring (which fried within a minute of me starting the bike). It seems that cutting wires inside switch-gear in order to disassemble the bike and then just twisting them together and shoving it all in with a bit of insulation tape here and there on reassembly isn't such a good idea. Things short out and melt apparently. Note to self: trust no-one in future.

Steve has provided excellent quality parts throughout the restoration and I've mildly customised aspects such as braking and clutch operation (twin disc front end, modern Brembo master cylinder and hydraulic clutch) in order to make the ride more enjoyable in modern traffic. Engine now has Carillo Rods, new crankpins and bearings and Wiseco Pistons.

Subsequently, as I finish the project, I'll be pestering everyone with trivial questions very shortly!

Regards,
Rob
From Down Under

Some photos of the restoration progress so far below

IMG_1699.JPG
The attachment IMG_2004.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_1699.JPG is no longer available
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: 1974 750GT Down Under

Post by BevHevSteve »

welcome aboard Bob
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

Thanks Steve - now all I have to do is figure out what I'm doing wrong in attaching photos! :)
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

OK - here I go again. Hope you can see the photos this time.
The attachment IMG_2004.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_7547.JPG is no longer available
IMG_2004.JPG
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

Nope - OK, I'll do one at a time...
IMG_8145.JPG
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

The attachment IMG_7547.JPG is no longer available
IMG_7547.JPG
TPDukeGT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TPDukeGT »

Hi Rob from a fellow GT restorer in Victoria,

Tasty photos and am on board with you as far as the subtle mods are concerned. Frame looks a treat as does the finish work on the rear hub (recently finished my hub/sprocket assembly). Frame, swingarm and accessories are being 2-pac'd this week.

Just curious re your initial post regarding engine work. Have you done this all yourself or have you used a local source at all? Mine needs a freshen up, though not to the extent of the Carillos, and wondered if you had any pointers?

Cheers, Tom
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the slow response, I've been working some crazy hours lately and no time to deal with the important things in life - like Ducatis!

The engine work has been done partly by myself (the basic stuff), but I had the crank built by a friend (who's no longer doing them) and the head machining work done by a motor engineer - who I'm only partly happy with (but it all turned out OK in the end). I'll post more information later. If you'd like to email me at [email protected] I'll provide a more comprehensive response as time permits.

Regards,
Rob
TPDukeGT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TPDukeGT »

G'day Rob - know all about that work in the way of more important things mantra....

PM sent

Return to “Introduce Yourself”