bruce where are you

Let the blabber fest begin... This area is for all topics that don't fit into one of the forum catagories & not specifically related to Ducati or even moto related for that matter. Talk away - but keep it clean and "work safe" people. Any offensive posts will be deleted at the descretion of the admins.
abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Grant,

I'm impressed! You live in a wonderful-looking spot with what seems like a perfect year-round climate for riding. Much better than the 15 cm of snow forecast for here tonight. Maybe I live in the wrong place!

There are no real french-english issues here although there is a sizeable Acadian population, the descendants of those people who avoided deportation during the French-English wars of 250 to 300 years ago.

I've seen some of the Perfect Corner episodes on youtube. I'll have to go back and look at them again.

Cheers,

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

Aussiess
750 GT

Post by Aussiess » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey Bruce,
Well I think it looks a little more deceptive than it is.
We actually get snow a few times a winter and it plays havoc with the region roads. (Snow of <5cm though)
This (autumn) is probably the best time of the year , the days around 23-26 deg C, still decent daylight and the leaves changing colour etc.
With the escarpments and the natural escapes, it is a great spot.
Ive been lucky over the years and travelled a fair bit. Europe /England /British Columbia- Alberta /Western US/ NZ but I keep coming back here.
Things are changing though as with everywhere else. The cops are getting out more (not that I would deliberately break the law of course), more traffic and braindead city drivers who dont know what a corner is or how to take one!
I've found the best time to ride is through the week around here, the weekends are tourists!
I note from an earlier post your had racing bikes, not MTB? I was heavily involved wth the OZ MTB scene for a long time, ran National and international events (DH and XC) and raced for the heck of it XC. Did do some road racing and back in the mid 80's was even in British Columbia with the some BC pro MTB riders and road racers (Alex Stieda /Bruce Spicer /Ron Hayman / Greg Demgen). Ah thats reminiscing!! We had a blast.
Any decent riding in your region.
We still use DH and XC tracks that I helped build in our area. Its a great place to ride.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:01 am

hey bruce
hey grant

bluenosers still cracks me up
imagine being the only bevel owner in your state!
i rekon the canadians are a lot like the aussies-as oppossed to those weird ones south of the border

we have an aussie thread going-grant,i think you've been there--although sometimes a bit odd -it shows the aussie sense of humour
bruce-jump in and add some northern hemisphere aussie humour---as grant knows the only rule is --dont mention the d word :shock:

steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 am

Hey Guys,

Does that make me an honourary Australian? I suppose I've been called worse!

I used to time trial road bikes although I have a couple of mountain bikes in the shed as well, including one I'm building up as a downhill bike. Lots of trails and tracks around here for riding as I back onto the largest natural area in NS. I even try to ride all winter and to be honest I probably put more km on a bicycle than on a motorbike.

I've done a fair bit of travelling myself, the usual places plus North Africa and the Middle East. I still hope to ride a motorbike across the Sahara down to Tamanrasset in southern Algeria, its twice now that I haven't made it past the border. I may have to compromise and go to the Baja in Mexico instead. To my regret I've yet to make it down under.

I just got back from southern BC/sw Alberta on my skiing trip. Lots of super-expensive mtbs in the shops for use during the summer on lift-served trails. I used to spend winters there and am working on a way to move back. I had my duke there as well and have great memories of blasting around the mountain roads in western Canada and the US.

Looking forward to this years riding (both bicycle and motorbike),

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:31 am

hey bruce
hey grant

honoury aussie-mmmmmm
but then again who else has there own thread on this place
answer-our only bluenoser

steve

ozihotrod
Mach 3

Post by ozihotrod » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:22 am

:) G'day Bruce , strewth an honoury aussie, but only if we can call you Bruce , man it must be cold in your winter, i work with the tuna fish industry down here, they snap freeze and store their tuna at the same temp. you said you get in winter, thats farkin cold and not real good bike weather, as a matter of fact thats to cold for any thing , bring on the 12 months of south aussie summer.
from little things -big things grow

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:11 pm

I thought all Aussies were named Bruce........or Sheila.

The funny thing is that the ski resorts in the west hire hundreds of Aussies each winter. They work as liftees or in other seasonal jobs, for minimum wage, just for a chance to ski or board. Its a Commonwealth thing I guess and sometimes the hard part is to get them to go back home.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 am

hey bruce,aussie,ozy
i thought all bluenosers were called bruce !
all the ones i know are anyway
did you see the explosion on ms about the red bevel?
so its near on april-bevel time i would think-or still snow shovels to the fore?
our footy season has just begun-best game in the world--whats the bluenosers chosen sport---ice hockey would seem too obvious

steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey Steve,

I actually posted a comment about that bevel. It didn't look that bad to me but there always seem to be some know-it-alls on that site who have never even ridden one let alone owned one.

Its finally warming up here so the Duke comes out of the shed next week for some tlc, fluid changes and carb synching. I should check the valve clearances, its never been reset in 25 years.

Sports in bluenose-land? In Canada ice hockey and curling are big in winter, soccer and baseball/softball in summer. In Nova Scotia the popular activity at the moment is baby seal shooting but its a short season. Otherwise its watching tv, riding atvs, playing vlts and complaining.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Bruce
A word of advice
DO NOT BELIEVE everything sir not says. He believes that SS's are more rare than the beloved tiger and the real footy started weeks ago the super 14 rugby comp

Aussiess
750 GT

Post by Aussiess » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi all (Bruce,Steve, Ozi, Garry),
Bruce, any Canadian Football in Nova Scotia?(thats the cheaper version of NFL? Ha!).
I guess its like saying AFL (Aerial Ping Pong!) or Super 14 Rugby is real football. The guys obviously arent NRL (Rugby league) fans.
Come to think of I dont think many people are any more, the game is full of drunks and sex offenders. Damn shame actually.
Anyway, good to hear the Duke is getting attention after all those years.

Who would you support in Ice Hockey? Canadiens? I was one of those Aussies years ago who did the work at Whistler and ski thing, It was unreal. What money you make you spend back in the bars or fuel to get back to Vancouver!! I was a Canucks fan for a while too. Its actually on Fox at the moment over here, must be Stanley cup time.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica

Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:06 pm

My Whistler trip,2nd run on the first day a stupid fall on a bunny trail,I try to get up and POP goes my right ACL,5 days watching pay TV and then an early trip home,3 months of phisio and good to go,absolutely beautiful place
but not fun for me.

ozihotrod
Mach 3

Post by ozihotrod » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:11 am

:? now, now, at first he created the silver pill which will always follow the light of jod duplo ,something time later the tiger headed beast was created to please the masses. :P
from little things -big things grow

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Guys,

You know, I'm going to leave the whole footie thing alone - I respect my limits.

Vince, what a sad story. My wife blew out her ACL skiing and has never really regained the confidence to ski agressively, play tennis or any other activity that places strain on the knee. She also severed the tendons of one thumb at Whistler on a ski edge but thats another story. I maintain she's vertically challenged.

You and Grant should come back and ski some of the more "Canadian" mountains. Whistler/Blackcombe is awesome but it gets so crowded that they need traffic lights at some of the busier spots. There used to be hordes of Japanese package tourists who all skiied in tight little groups. You should instead head to the BC interior where there are no crowds and the snow is deep. One area, Big White near Kelowna, is actually owned by Australians and seems to cater to them. Give me some warning and I'll even come west and guide you around. I just got back from showing a friend some of the lesser-known terrain at places like Fernie and Red Mountain.

There are those of us who think that Canadian football is better than the American version. One fewer down leads to a faster-paced and more exciting game. There is no NS team as yet but it may come as its popular at the college level. Rugby is popular here though but too rough for me.

Stanley Cup time is yet to come, they've made it so late that the ice just about melts in the arenas. The Canadiens always used to be considered to play the purest and fastest style of hockey but its probably not true anymore. I enjoy playing the game when I get a chance but the televised sport turns me and a lot of other people off. Too many goons and punks, they would rather fight than play. Some people say that they have emphasized the fighting to attract a wider American audience. Still, a good fast-paced hockey game with lots of passing is a beautiful thing to watch.

What would make you think that I would ever believe anything that sir not posts?

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:43 am

garryc wrote:Bruce
A word of advice
DO NOT BELIEVE everything sir not says. He believes that SS's are more rare than the beloved tiger and the real footy started weeks ago the super 14 rugby comp
WHAT---its only taken you 690 posts to work that out-darn plague :-D :-D

Return to “No Ducati Content - Off Topic Chat”