bruce where are you

Let the blabber fest begin... This area is for all topics that don't fit into one of the forum catagories & not specifically related to Ducati or even moto related for that matter. Talk away - but keep it clean and "work safe" people. Any offensive posts will be deleted at the descretion of the admins.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

bruce where are you

Post by nottonight68 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:50 am

bruce abmartin from nova scotia where are you-snowed in-sold out-busy painting?
havent heard from you in ages-avalanche?eskimo attack? frost bite?

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Hey Steve,

Avalanche is not that far off. I just got back from a few weeks skiing in western Canada. Lots of Aussies on the slopes there missing the Oz hot spell. With the wind chill it was minus 53 C at the top of one mountain.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:07 am

g'day bruce

thought you might have sold the old beast and -53 is err----well actually how cold is that

steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:05 pm

Actually the air temperature was a relatively balmy -25 C or so. With the wind it was enough to freeze exposed flesh in a few minutes but we're used to dealing with that.

At least you can dress for the cold whereas there's a limit to how much you can take off when its hot. Back here in Nova Scotia spring is coming so I should be riding before too much longer.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:34 am

hey bruce
balmy -25----mmmm
here in oz we know -25 about nova scotia-whats it like-culture-humour-lifestyle-work-weather-bikes- you know--how do spend your time---we're called aussies--you---scotians?

steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:39 pm

They're called 'bluenosers' although I'm not sure why. Lots of great roads, some among the most scenic anywhere with curves, ocean views and quaint villages. Nova Scotians tend to be conservative - some might say backwards - but there is a thriving arts and culture scene with a heavy emphasis on fiddles and bagpipes.

Lots of bikes around but mostly cruisers and lots of motorbike tourists. I have never seen another bevel here so my bike is pretty exotic for the area. Unfortunately I don't ride it as much as I should since I'm also restoring a 150 year-old house and its shared with a '37 Ariel Red Hunter and a '70 Bonnie, a kayak and a number of racing bicycles.

We don't get the cold weather of the west so the climate is temperate with nice summers and relatively (for Canada) mild winters. I can often ride until almost Christmas and begin again by the end of March.

I'm a landscape architect by profession but its on hold until I finish the house and office. Music - most kinds but a weakness for 60s pop and soul, 80s new wave and techno/electronic, the beats seem to suit the Ducati.

I originally had an 860GT as did one of my best friends. His ended up in Australia, imported by a guy who emigrated there just before they ended the program in the late 1970s.

Anything else? Maybe you'll just have to come over here and check it out for yourself. Thousands of Aussies do that every year. You won't regret it!

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:49 pm

thanks bruce
interesting thumbnail on nova scotia
fiddles and bagpipes?-surely not together-i thought you were joking about bagpipes-then i thought about it--nova scotia--new scotland
never seen a bevel-ever? seems odd youd think at least one would be there somewhere--what population--how big in area (not size but comparison-ie same as ireland-eg)
sounds like your the bevel omega man of ns

ahhh-bluenose bevelman

steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Goodday Steve,

I heard there was a bevel twin in our neighbouring province of New Brunswick although I have yet to see it. I'm planning on taking a few trips this summer so will try to find it. Speaking of that, it would be good to see some posts of duke-related excursions complete with photos. I'll try to do my part later this year.

Some people say Nova Scotia resembles a lobster in shape which is appropriate since lobster fishing is a big industry here. No part of NS is more than 45 minutes or so from the nearest body of salt water but it takes about 8 hours to go from the east to west ends so its not particularly big. Population is a little less than a million bluenosers.

Went for a ride today, first this year but not Ducati-mounted. My XT500 took the honours, fired right up in plus 5 weather. The SS is next.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:14 am

had a look at a map-yep definetly a lobster-some people say australia is shaped like a large continent in the s-hemisphere
halifax-is that where u are?-just looking at map i'd go for that bay -wolfville-economy?--would seem more sheltered ,close to capital and perhaps some winding roads.maps tell us nothing though-whats your town

cheers steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Steve,

I live in the village of Bear River, considered one of the most beautiful spots in NS. Its one of the last places on the eastern seaboard where you can still buy property cheaply although thats changing as Americans, Brits and central Canadians are discovering the place. Bear River is about an hour west of Wolfville in the Annapolis Valley and is known for having one of the highest tidal ranges in the world - something you have to see to believe - plus lots of artists and a developing wine industry. Check it out on Google Earth, you'll even see some photos I posted there.

There's no such thing as a straight road here, lots of hills, curves and blind corners, although the pavement can be rough in places. A major mistake can put you into the trees, over a bank or into a rock wall. It takes work to ride a bevel twin quickly because you have to throw them around to get anywhere plus you can get distracted by the view. Fifth gear is only useful on the major highways.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:32 am

how ya goin
found bear river-surprise surprise shows your on a river-hahaha
looks like a nice bay area around digby-granville f
i live in adelaide which is on a plain surrounded on 3 sides by foot hills-i live at the base of the southern foothills-10 kms from the CBD -which still houses the same ducati shop i bought my ss from in 77----still operate as bevel shop -very handy
1 km from my house is kkkkkms of the best bike roads in oz(renown oz wide)--but over the last 20 odd years the roads have deteriorated with less and less maint. done---or i have got older and cautious
cant say we have much bagpipe playing here either
i lived in queensland for 12 years till 2004-climate was = to mexico---adelaide?-probably north california--they call it meditteranian-whatever that is

steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:29 pm

Steve,

Checked out Adelaide on Google Earth, looks like a nice spot although the constant sunshine and warm weather might get boring after awhile. The Canadian climate builds character.

Tell you what, when you get your Duke finished we'll trade houses for a bit. You can have the use of my '79 and I'll try yours out.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:29 am

thats actually not a bad idea-maybe next year-but during your summer please

steve

abmartin
SSD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Summer works for me. Don't you have summer 12 months of the year in Adelaide?

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

Aussiess
750 GT

Post by Aussiess » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Sorry to break into this chat guys, I have only just got back on line after a fortnight travelling for work. Nova Scotia- sounds like a nice place, do you have the French /English language issue there? Or is that only Quebec?
I will have o check out the google areas you both describe.
Steve, I think it was probably15 years since I was Adelaide way and actually rode in past the "Eagle on the Hill" pub on an old 82 BMW R100RS.
Adelaide hills were quite a ride from my battered memory.

If you guys can check it out I am in the Blue Mtns, in NSW I live between Hartley and Lithgow and the roads are made for Dukes- The Bells line starts 3 klm away, and the roads out through jenolan Caves and to oberon are wonderful sweeping and then tight combined bends. You guys would love it.
Like you guys Im into anything from the blues to anything with a guitar in it.

Some of our rides locally Bruce have been placed on youtube if you want to check out "the perfect corner" stuff with my good mate CJ as the host.
We are looking at doing more very soon.

Ill go off and do my geography homework now!! Ha..
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica

Return to “No Ducati Content - Off Topic Chat”