Aprilia

Let the blabber fest begin... This area is for all topics that don't fit into one of the forum catagories & not specifically related to Ducati or even moto related for that matter. Talk away - but keep it clean and "work safe" people. Any offensive posts will be deleted at the descretion of the admins.
notanumber
Mariana

Aprilia

Post by notanumber »

Hello

I hope this is not an ignorant question (Google has so far failed me!) ... can someone confirm whether Aprilia (as a current manufacturer of bikes) is the same company that made the lighting systems/switches etc) on Ducatis back in the day, or is it a different company entirely?

Happy to hear from anyone who can inform me!

Thanks
TDF
Mariana

Re: Aprilia

Post by TDF »

I can't recall where I read it. (it might come to me at some point) Seems to me it was a book or magazine article about old Ducati's and their electrics, but from what I recall reading they are not related to each other. Somebody will be along with more proof than my faulty memory though I hope.

TDF
1966 Ducati 350 Sebring
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
Plus a whole herd of non-Italian motorcycles.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

That's about as much as I know too, but I've never managed to find any supporting documentary evidence. It seems that Aprilia the electrical equipment supplier disappeared - went bust/got taken over? - around 1974 or 75. I don't even know where the company was based. This product catalogue is currently on sale in Italy:

Aprilia the motorcycle manufacture started as a bicycle maker after the war and it wasn't until 1968 that the company produced its first powered machines, using bought-in engines (Sachs, Morini, Hiro), mopeds first and then off-roaders.

This is the Daniela

This a Colibri

This is a Scarabeo

More photos here:
http://www.dropbears.com/a/aprilia/aprilia_history.htm
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

Hi Craig
What a shame that catalog isn't from the mid or late 70's instead of '70. None the lass I'm half temped to buy it just for the fun of browsing through it!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Go for it, Paddy! I can't believe there will be many people interested in it, so you may be able to negotiate a bit (perhaps ... :-D )

Return to “No Ducati Content - Off Topic Chat”