Albany Hill Climb 2011 - Western Australia

Post your misc Moto Photos here.... Races, rides, whatever.... Road trip stories and photos, general photographic discussion - anything camera related.
machten
MHR / S2

Albany Hill Climb 2011 - Western Australia

Post by machten »

A bunch of us Ducati folks took the trek 570km south of Perth via the wonderful south west forest roads to Albany for the Albany Hill Climb weekend.

We all took Friday and Monday off so we could be there for the whole weekend. This is my favourite event on the calendar and is always a great weekend. The weather forecast was terrible and we left Perth in some heavy rain, but the event was favoured with good weather. That being said, we got drowned coming home on the Monday.

Some shots...

Coffee break on the way down...

At the display on Saturday morning..

I particulaly like this one as many years ago I had a Mach III Kawasaki 500, so I parked my Sport next to this 750 for a photo. I sold the Mach III to buy my first Ducati as I wanted a bike that actually went around corners :-D

The venue for lunch after a hard morning at the display. It was supposed to be raining, but...

At the Hill Climb on Sunday...

My 250 M3D managed to finish one ride in front of the 750 Bonnie but I was 1-2 sec behind him on the other two...

No prizes for guessing which of these two got to the top first…

Kev
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

thanks for taking the time to post these great event pix!
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Knowing of Steve Allen's interest in photography, I had to include this one I got tonight. This photo of my bike was taken (amongst a number of others) on a Rolleiflex TLR pictured below (picture taken with a Rollei 35RF)...

by John McKinnon and Andy McKinnon using Kodak B&W film and then developed and digitised by Andy and John.

All credits to John and Andy McKinnon.

I think I love this photo... 8)

There's something rather nice about using old technology to photograph old technology. And there is something about black and white you don't get with colour. We've definitely made it easier to get a good picture with new technology, I'm not sure we've made it possible to get better pictures...

Kev
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Hi Kev, great pics, and I'm glad to see some shots of GTs in the set as the Sports and SSs usually steal the 'limelight' (talking of old technology). I think that the beauty of monochrome images is that they are great for highlighting form and structure and texture without the distraction of colour. And as far as your comment on technology and "better" pictures is concerned, that's 99% down to the eye and artistry of the photographer and their willingness to understand the strengths and limitations of the particular technology that they are using.
Cheers, Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hiya Steve,

Thanks for your response. I love my Gt as much as my Sport, so no bias from my side. The 1973 GT was a just recently finished restoration by the son of the man that as I understand it, bought it new as one of the few electric start GT's in WA, so it's been in the family since new.
I think that the beauty of monochrome images is that they are great for highlighting form and structure and texture without the distraction of colour.
Having had some time to think about it, I totally agree. As an example, look at the dried rain spots on the headlight shell. I don't think you have even seen them with colour. (Can you Photoshop Kodak film????)
And as far as your comment on technology and "better" pictures is concerned, that's 99% down to the eye and artistry of the photographer and their willingness to understand the strengths and limitations of the particular technology that they are using.
Yes. Having seen a bunch of his other work taken on the day and earlier, this guy is a real pro who was working with this gear at the peak of his career. I wonder what he thinks of photos taken with mobile phones? :-D

Kev
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

I wonder what he thinks of photos taken with mobile phones?
Probably the same as what I think of phone calls made with cameras ....
Steve
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Probably the same as what I think of phone calls made with cameras ....
Thanks Steve, just need to go and change my shorts now. :-D :-D :-D
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

My favourite is the happy guy on what appears to be a Honda 90 trail bike. Classic sportmanship!

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

Return to “Moto Photos / Photography”