900ss crankshaft preload

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
big phil
Mariana

900ss crankshaft preload

Post by big phil »

i have a 900 ss which has a motor rebuild by a vintage ducati mechanic but i am not too sure if he has assembled the engine correctly as when it gets warm there is some vibration over 5000 rpm.as i understand it, these engines should be dead smooth through the rev range.i would like to strip the engine and re assemble it again now as all the parts inside are new.the crank was stripped and checked for big end wear and all was good so it was reassembled.it has new bearings through the engine.so before all goes to pot i want to give it a go to re assemble myself, but here's the question.how much preload do people recomend installing the crank assy.i have heard 2/10ths of a mm is good.does anyone have any info on these engines for assembly and for sideways float tolerances of the gear shafts.if anyone knows a good method for checking these things that would be awesome too.this is my everyday bike so i want it to be perfect.
thanks,phil
theres a certain quality in quantity
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Check elsewhere on the bvelheaven.com site for the manuals; in there you'll find the supplement to 860GT-GTS manual and others which may well have the specifications you're looking for. I've not split my cases by on the bevelheads list the talk is often about zero end float on the crank and to spec on the gear shafts. To measure it's a case of make it up with the new gasket and use a DTI. Search on google for end float measurement techniques.
Cheers
Geoff

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”