860gt stuck in 2nd...

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
tomas
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

860gt stuck in 2nd...

Post by tomas »

Hello.

After a few years of collecting dust (both the bike and me), I am starting to think about getting my 860gt back on the street. When I last rode the beast, it was running pretty well having just been tuned and a few years of work bring it back from certain death. As I remember, it just needed a little electrical tlc…

However, on the last ride, it got stuck in second gear. The selector would not budge, and I rode it home and parked it. I pulled of the selector box, and don’t remember seeing anything too strange – but I might not know it if I did.

I guess the question is, what should I look for in the selector box? Is there something internally in the case that would cause these symptoms? Is there a fairly simple way to determine where the fault lies?

Sorry for the uninformed nature of this question – I’ve never gotten into this part of a bike before, and don’t know much about how it all works.

Cheers

Tom
San Francisco
Colin Linz
Diana

Post by Colin Linz »

Sorry I can’t help with a specific answer, I just don’t know if they have a common problem in this area and I have never experienced it on my bike.

All I can do is explain what you will need to look for. I will assume that you have checked the shift mechanism and this is OK. Basically there could be two problems; the first could be that something is stopping the selector drum from turning. This may be related to the drum and its bearings, or the selectors freedom to move from side to side. Another possible cause could be that the selector is no longer in its correct position and cannot disengage the second gear dogs.

I have included some pics that may help my explanation make some sense.

The selector drum rotates and the selector forks are moved side to side by the channels cut into it, the selector forks have a peg that sits in the channels.

The selector forks slide across located by rods through the holes. The fork fits in a groove in the gear/dog clutch. When the drum moves the forks, the forks move the dogs into or out of engagement.

The above two pictures show the dogs and how they fit together. When the selector forks slide the gears together the dogs (the castellated areas on the sides) can engage. When the forks move them apart they disengage.
Cheers
Colin Linz
tomas
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by tomas »

Colin

thanks for the reply, and for the photos. I will take a look it the 'box with your photos and the manual, and see if I can come up with a better diagnosis.

hopefully I'll get some time soon...

Cheers

Tom
Motobee
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Motobee »

Tom,
The typical failure inside the gear selector box is that the return spring breaks. It is a Ducati specific part which many of the Bevel parts suppliers carry.
The photos of the gearbox and shift drum that Colin supplied are internal to the engine and require engine removal and disassembly in order to access.
If you remove the selector box, you can turn the shift drum with a screwdriver to check transmission function. It should turn easily. Rotate the rear wheel at the same time and you should be able to engage all five gears. If the shift drum doesn't turn, then you will have to remove the engine and split the cases to fix it.

Most likely its the spring inside the selector box.

Good luck,
Brian
tomas
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by tomas »

Brian

thanks for the input. I did mean that I was going to look at the selector box and not tear into the guts - not ready for that. Hope to get a chance to check it out this weekend and will post results.

Cheers

tom
rlandon
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

shifter return spring- 75 860GT- can't find one!

Post by rlandon »

well, I got the same problem...broken spring and I can't find a replacement...discontinued...and tried a few internet bevel places...no luck...and ideas out there...

rich
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

sprung

Post by BevHevSteve »

the spring is THE SAME spring as what is used in current models
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
tomas
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

resurrecting thread

Post by tomas »

I finally took a look at the selector box for my 860, and found that it is binding. the spring was not broken, but skewed off the axis of the shaft and seemed to be binding.

Does anyone have a detailed pic of how the spring is supposed to be sitting? The haynes manual shows it fairly well, but another perspective might be helpful. Also, and hints on how to reseat the spring?

Cheers

Tom

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”