Chain links or endless chain

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Lindsay07
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Chain links or endless chain

Post by Lindsay07 »

Was looking at chain breakers today, My friend has an endless chain on his Cagiva 1000. I've always used joiners (chain links) & no troubles, I have friends that have had links come off, so for the 860GTS any reason to go with an endless chain?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Chain links or endless chain

Post by BevHevSteve »

avoid clip type master links. It isn;t worth the risk. They don;t often fail but when they do it could be catastrophic.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Ask two people this question, and you'll get three answers :-D ! And I admit I'm not consistent in my own practices.

I used to avoid riveted chains, simply because you need the right tools to get them off - and, in particular, on. And those tools used to be absurdly expensive because they were intended for regular use by professionals. But now you can buy perfectly acceptable DIY tools for small monies, e.g.

So why not use riveted chain? The last two chains I fitted were both riveted.

That said:
3 of my bikes are still running spring link chain. Do I lose any sleep over this? No. The only precaution I take is to safety wire the clip on. This was standard good race-track practice back in the day. But I admit it was rarely followed on street bikes. I've never had one come off.
Lindsay07
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Lindsay07 »

Have been looking around the net searching for more information about whether to have a joining link or an endless chain, like to know the reasons behind things. So what I found. apparently it depends on engine size & power output. Small engines & output are fine with joining links but as engine size & power rises then it’s prudent to use a riveted joint. Think they said about 40 horsepower & above use an endless chain (might have been looking on a site that sells chains & sprockets). Might have been lucky not to throw a chain all these years don’t want to test my luck in that way now & as Steve said could be catastrophic so endless chain for me. Thank you for your input guys.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

In the +40 years of riding and racing Ducati (and other bikes), I only once had a mishap with the chainlink.
No disaster, the chain just ran off the while pushing the bike to the start line (THAT would've been an event :lol: :lol: )
Later we found out that my "mechanic/girlfriend/catering" had leaned the bike over to the right to get to the shifting pedal while rolling the bike backwards, and the clip touched the slightly protruding end of the bolt that holds the chaincover, flipping it off.
So off with the chaincover :-D :-D no more problems.
Kept on using them, as they are much easier to change gearing.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”