vertical cylinder head removal 900GTS

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Laverda
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

vertical cylinder head removal 900GTS

Post by Laverda »

I have an oil leak at the head on the rear cylinder on a 1978 900GTS. As the motor has never been touched since new, I am assuming the O rings are due for replacement. The question before I start is, can the head be removed without taking the motor out of the frame. The manuals I have always assume you have the motor on the bench.

Bruce
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: vertical cylinder head removal 900GTS

Post by wdietz186 »

You can't pull the vert. head without dropping the engine down. It can be done by swinging the engine down on the lower mounting bolt but with all you have to disconnect it's just about as easy to drop the whole thing. In light of it's age it would be prudent to reseal both heads and the bevel tubes while you are at it. The pickup wiring is suspect too, just like the Laverda, the insulation falls off the wires. Steve carries all the bits you will require and there is plenty of info on this site.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”