860GT base gasket question

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
rjk40
750 GT

860GT base gasket question

Post by rjk40 »

When installing a copper base gasket, does one install it dry after thoroughly cleaning the mating surfaces, or is some other method used with some kind of sealer? The factory paper gasket was glued on, and took some effort with a ScotchBrite to remove it. Penetrating oil did little to help.

I see differing opinions on whether or not to use Ducati Threebond 1215. Personally, I would think that a thin smear of anti-seize containing graphite would be the best choice to ease replacement, and to minimize electrolysis. I'm guessing that leaking is minimized by having the mating surfaces clean, and by evenly torqueing the head stud nuts over the wavy washers. On this engine, mating surfaces look like new after cleaning.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Richard Kovach
Malabar, Florida
rjk40
750 GT

Re: 860GT base gasket question

Post by rjk40 »

Replying to self here:

I have seen positive reviews on the use of Permatex copper gasket sealant. This might be a much better choice than my idea of using anti-seize.

Have any of you gurus out there had any experience with this?

Given the position of the 860GT base gasket, I would venture to use the Permatex copper gasket sealant. Worst problem is likely an oil leak. If so, I will heartily admit my error. Still a firm believer in proper, even head stud nut torque, and nice, clean cylinder-to-case mating surfaces.

Regards,
Richard Kovach
Malabar, Florida USA
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Except for the "shims" of lower bevelhousing, I've never seen any other copper gaskets.
Using the originals and good prep did the trick.
Perhaps the copper is thinner and upping the compression ?

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Richard.

I'm not qualified to reply to your specific query, I'm afraid. But I feel I gotta ask: why are you using a copper base gasket?

1. As Ducadini says, there's nothing wrong with the simple (Paper? Composite? Dunno ..) gasket that Ducati used.

2. Also, copper gaskets are most often used as head gaskets in high performance engines, no? I don't really see the need for one as base gasket ....

Just wondering ...

Craig
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Hi Craig, Ducadini,

As I ponder this, I have concluded that my choice of copper for the base gasket is unnecessary in the case of my bike, and will move forward accordingly.

Still wondering about gasket sealant, even with the paper one; in past experiences, any time I have used a paper gasket (mostly on cars...), I have used normal Permatex-type liquid brush-on or spray-on, for a good seal, and less concern about getting the durned thing off the surface(s) in the future. That has always worked well, and I see no reason here, that it wouldn't be the same.

As for the copper gasket, the one Steve stocks is 0.22mm, which is likely thicker than the paper one.

Thanks to all for sound advice and experience.

Regards,
Richard
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

A thin smear of just about anything will seal it ok, If the copper gasket hasn't been used before it is likely soft enough to seal without any additional sealing compounds. Due to the relatively large crankcase volume and lowish revs the bevels don't seem to build the crankcase pressure and leak like the belt engines can. The trick is clean surfaces and even torque.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I doubt the paper base gasket was glued on, probably just got stuck on as the cylinder head was torqued down and by the passage of time. I've always just fitted the gaskets dry, making sure that the oil passages aren't obstructed. Never heard of a copper base gasket.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
rsuarez
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rsuarez »

He is referring to Permatex copper gasket sealant not a copper base gasket.

I don't have much time to work on the bikes and can't afford to get it wrong in the first try. Thats why I use a very thin layer of Permatex High Tack gasket sealant on every gasket. It does not dry and helps in case there is a need to dismantle again.

Ramon

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”