Clutch nut removal

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
rjk40
750 GT

Clutch nut removal

Post by rjk40 »

I have been unsuccessful in trying to loosen the clutch nut, 1975 860GT, as spragging and trying to hold the clutch basket from spinning is beyond my limited intelligence. Washer is straightened up, impact driver has not helped, having trouble holding the basket and spur gear from spinning; any great ideas? Thanks in advance.

Richard Kovach
Malabar, Florida USA
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Clutch nut removal

Post by wdietz186 »

You will need a clutch holding tool. You could make one if you are replacing the clutch plates. Bolt a couple of the used drive and driven plates together and bolt them to a stout enough lever to hold the 100 or so ft. lb. of torque to break the nut loose. An electric impact wrench could be used to remove the nut but to reinstall it you should torque it to the correct figure,which will require a holding tool. The primary gear/ ign. flywheel takes a special puller to remove too.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Thanks kindly; I was beginning to question my sanity (not for the first time ) .

I look forward to better success when I obtain the tool.

Regards,
Richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

clutch holder tool, generator holder tool or even a sprocket holder tool will lock the motor so you can remove that nut...
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Thanks, Steve,

I'm on it.

Regards,
Richard

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”