Media blasting engine

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
droopydawg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Media blasting engine

Post by droopydawg »

According to the bike documentation, the engines for the '60s bevel engines are made of a "light alloy" Not really helpful. I guess Aluminum Alloy?
I want to media blast my 250 single engine, for appearance sake.
What is the best media for this that wont damage the engine cases?
Baking Soda? Walnut shells?

Thank you

-Drew
Drew Mobley
Lake Forest, Illinoying
SRX600, SRX250, GZ250, Ductai 250
droopydawg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Media blasting engine

Post by droopydawg »

or perhaps just vapor blasting is best?
Drew Mobley
Lake Forest, Illinoying
SRX600, SRX250, GZ250, Ductai 250
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

If the engine is apart then vapour blasting is very good followed by bead blasting. Be very careful with cleaning afterwards. However if you don't want to needlessly pull it apart then plug it up and soda blast. Try to get all the baking soda out whilst it is still wet. There will be some residual most likely and this will come out with use. Cheers,
Ian
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

I used to use bead blasting for engine case, cylinders and heads, etc. Using new #6 glass bead at reduced pressure leaves a "peened", slightly shiny finis on typical castings. Always felt apprehensive about residue stuck in nooks though. For the past few years I have switched to vapor blasting followed by ultrasonic cleaning and then treat with Alodine 1001 conversion coating. Always been very pleased with the results that you can see on the web site of the place I use below.

As to soda blasting an assembled engine, it would make me nervous. No matter how well sealed it still when shot under pressure would find its way into where it's not supposed to be and don't know if it's oil soluble.

http://www.vaporblastcanada.com/

My 2 ct.

G
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Steve has a how to on this site about cleaning with Simple Green. Requires elbow grease but it won't introduce abrasives to your innards.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”