Tacho cable replacement

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Andrew62
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Tacho cable replacement

Post by Andrew62 »

Hi Guy's
Was wondering if anybody out there could give me a insight on how to remove the tacho cable from the tacho drive plate mounted on the side of the front head. I need to replace the damaged cable however i have undone the locking nut from the brass piece extending out of the plate and i cant seem to remove the cable. Any suggestions ??? ( I havnt tried any great force as i dont want to break anything)
Also i would like to remove the brass drive as well if possible,so i can polish the plate.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Tacho cable replacement

Post by wdietz186 »

The cable has probably twisted in the drive gear. The hole in the end of the gear is square and depending on the quality of the cable the end the cable will be sort of square and roughly smaller than the hole. Try twisting the cable anti-clockwise a tiny bit with pliers while pulling on it, it should come loose. IIRC the drive housing is held in the cover by a set screw or two but if it were mine I'd leave it be and polish around it. It might leak if tampered with.
Andrew62
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Tacho cable replacement

Post by Andrew62 »

Thanks a lot wdietz 186. Your Technical help is much appriciated and it worked out exactly as you said. I untwisted the cable and it poped out of the housing. now i will leave the housing as is and polish around it as you stated. I dont want any leaks. Thanks again.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”