Sprag Bearing Outer Race

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Elliot
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Sprag Bearing Outer Race

Post by Elliot »

Hi folks

I am replacing the sprag bearing outer race on my 78 Darmah. This is the one held in with 6 screws and located on two pins. How does this come out? Do I need a gear puller or do I press out the internal taper and then push the race out using a hydraulic press?
I am replacing the sprag bearing with later model upgrade kit. I note that one of the things I will likely have to do is then adjust the backlash between the clutch basket and the primary pinion.

How is this backlash measured and where should I be adjusting this?

Thanks for your help,

Elliot
Owner of two 78 Dramahs as I can't afford a 900SS or a Greenframe!
Elliot
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Sprag Bearing Outer Race

Post by Elliot »

I got if figured. In the cold light of day the sprag bearing outer race is actually the flywheel. I was confused because I bought a sprag bearing upgrade kit from Vee Two and the outer race of this unit was effectively a lightened flywheel and was a lot smaller. Therefore with the new parts I had in hand i was expecting to press out a race from inside the flywheel.

So if you read this post and were confused - so was I - but now sorted. I fitted the new outer race to the primary pinion gear and but now the gearing backlash between pinion and clutch basket is even more important due to the possible differences between original flywheel and new lightened version.
Owner of two 78 Dramahs as I can't afford a 900SS or a Greenframe!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Elliot wrote:So if you read this post and were confused - so was I - but now sorted.
Gotta confess, Elliot - I was :) . I was waiting to see what anyone else replied.

But 'All's well that ends well ...'
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The gear backlash is not adjustable. The distance between the shafts is set by the cases, and with the helical cut of the gears the clearance isn't that big of a concern. I do remember some primary gears were noisier than others but with all the other noises the engines make it just adds some charisma to the whole deal.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”